Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM

Default Buying a gun through the forums..

So my dad really likes this gun that I have shown him through one of these forums. He wants me to pick it up for him, unfortunately the gun is located in BC, and myself in Alberta. Anyways, I contacted the seller, great can ship it to me no problem, gave me the shipping quote, Exchanged PAL's and thats it I guess..

Problem in my head is that..Second post member..But he has been a member for 5 years, the postal code he sent me matched up with the shipping quote, his profile info matches up with the gun he is selling, I saw the PAL..

What do you guys think?? Ive been seeing scammers in the buy and sell, really dont want to get ripped on this one, especially since its for my old man.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 PM

If you have the PAL number, you can always call the CFC just to verify that it is valid, and that will also confirm his name. I would not be concerned with a five year member.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, he's obviously got a low trader rating. I've done deals with guys here and on CGN and have been fortunate enough to never have been burned, but they all had superb trader ratings. A friend has been ripped off on a scope deal. You do take your chances, but in this case I would have to warn caution. On the other forum, I raised my trader rating by dealing on small items first. Simply showing you a PAL doesn't necessarily imply honesty unfortunatelly, so be careful.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM

What more can a guy ask for in this situation.. other than a face to face exchange
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM

I have completed over 50 transactions on CGN, and a few on this site. I have sent money to people with a 0 trader rating, and I was once on the other end of that situation. A lot of it comes down to the attitude of the other party, and a gut feeling on your part. I haven't been scammed yet, but there is always the chance that it could happen, no matter how careful you are.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM

ask the forum if someone is heading to BC, n wouldn't mind picking it up for u,
pay them what it would cost in shipping.
or ask him if he's on bchunt forum? and go see what that forum says about him
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

face to face would be good, is he willing to meet you halfway? or could you send him half the funds, he sends the goods and upon inspection you send the remainder? you have to get a feel for those things, is he willing to budge a bit? perhaps he could send you a pic of his driver license and his PAL? you have to feel comfortable with it, if you don't, then back out. Just because he registered on the forum 5 years ago and posted twice just doesn't make me feel all that warm and cozy.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM

This is the exact type of situation where having a reputable gun shop doing an escro service for forums and web deals would be good. They could also inspect firearms and ensure everyone plays by the rules.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 PM

Ask him for a few days to inspect the rifle. Most good traders will give you some kind of inspection warranty. Nobody is going to run the gun to the next province to show the rifle. I've dealt with guys on CGN that had a higher trader rating than they had posts,and never had a problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Or have him ship COD, inspect it and pay. He can then collect the money in full.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Use COD, best way to deal. Canada Post does COD but remember you can't inspect the content of the package when using Canada post COD, it's not allowed. You have to pay first before they hand in the package. If you use Purolator or UPS then you can inspect before you pay as i have done so, telling this from experience using COD. COD has around $10 extra charge added to shipping costs.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 AM

If this is such a big issue with you shop somewhere else.

If I was the seller of this item I'd be ready to tell you to pound sand at this point. Quit messing him around.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Default Buy & sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If this is such a big issue with you shop somewhere else.

If I was the seller of this item I'd be ready to tell you to pound sand at this point. Quit messing him around.
Obviously you have oodles of money kicking around that your willing to give away, can I have some??

And since you have no idea of the status of our deal, you should keep your opinions to yourself.

I'm doing my homework, I'd rather be thorough than hand out hundreds of my hard worked for money. The first firearm I was interested in purchasing through buy & sell happened to be a scam, I didn't get burned, but very easily could have.

I didn't think of COD until you guys suggested it, thanks for the idea

Last edited by AMisler; 06-22-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Adding a few words
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 AM

I picked up a Sako m75ss 300WM with Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50 for a hunting buddy a couple years ago of HUNTING BC forum....no issues. I have bought hunting items including rifles off members on AO and just recently on CGN from a member in Ontario ( T3 ss) and 2 new Sako m75 magazines from a member in Manitoba.

Scams happen. Protect yourself by asking for more pictures with a recent newspaper showing the date, check out the members EE Rating. Have a contact # if you wanted to talk to the seller.

IMO, most people are good, its just the low lifes that become members and dso the scamming.

Unless the seller accepts PAYPAL, its a bit of a gamble.....only make the transaction if you feel comfortable
Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
Obviously you have oodles of money kicking around that your willing to give away, can I have some??

And since you have no idea of the status of our deal, you should keep your opinions to yourself.

I'm doing my homework, I'd rather be thorough than hand out hundreds of my hard worked for money. The first firearm I was interested in purchasing through buy & sell happened to be a scam, I didn't get burned, but very easily could have.

I didn't think of COD until you guys suggested it, thanks for the idea
Like I said. If this is such a big problem for you shop somewhere else. This is ridiculous.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Use COD, best way to deal. Canada Post does COD but remember you can't inspect the content of the package when using Canada post COD, it's not allowed. You have to pay first before they hand in the package. If you use Purolator or UPS then you can inspect before you pay as i have done so, telling this from experience using COD. COD has around $10 extra charge added to shipping costs.
Many people on CGN, and other sites, would never consider COD. I don't ship any merchandise, until I receive full payment , and I expect the same from other sellers.

Quote:
Unless the seller accepts PAYPAL, its a bit of a gamble....
You might want to look into the PAYPAL terms.

https://cms.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/?c...ptableUse_full

Quote:
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.

relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (d) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (e) items that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime, (f) items that are considered obscene, (g) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (h) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (i) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (j), certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.
If you use PAYPAL to purchase firearms, and have a problem, PAYPAL will just back away, because you violated their terms.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
Unless the seller accepts PAYPAL, its a bit of a gamble.....only make the transaction if you feel comfortable
He suggested PayPal. I have my money going through processing into my PayPal account as we speak.

Chuck, nothing here is ridiculous..I'm not giving the seller any hassle, we are communicating and working out the deal no problem. I have a waiting period of 6-8 business days to add money onto my PayPal account ( which has been communicated with the seller). In this period I'm asking questions and seeing what other people's experiences have been. No need to get your panties in a bunch, your not the seller or the buyer. If you don't like the thread, move along. don't need unhelpful, negative replys..
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You might want to look into the PAYPAL terms.

https://cms.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/?c...ptableUse_full

I'd heard of that - thanks.

Is there another online payment service comparable to PayPal? I have used PayPal quite a bit but would rather not patronize a business that ranks guns alongside drug paraphernalia.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Default gut feeling

I just go by gut feeling. Had some concerns about a Firearms Canada transaction a few months ago so asked for name and phone number. Called the guy as stil wasn't comfortable so walked away from what could have been a deal. last week looked at another suspicious deal and phoned the guy and came away with a good feeling of an older firearms friendly gentleman who was divesting himself of some firearms so his family wouldn't have to deal with it.
No guarantee but I trust my gut feeling after speaking to someone rather than typing back and forth.
have done EMT, mailed money orders and used COD depending on what is most appropriate and agreed upon.
Good luck
Rob
Old 06-22-2012, 10:56 AM

Get his phone number and have a chat with him. I have done this before and it may give you a better feeling for the deal and who he is. Cheers Roscoe
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Turns out he is ok with the COD thing, thanks agian for suggesting it!

Things are working out, looks like I'll be able to get my dad the gun he's been looking for!