Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Default hand gun assistance please

Lads

A lady friend of mine has a small assortment of handgun left from a family sale. She does. have her Rpal, so she is legal

Thank ,...FS

Last edited by leo; 11-01-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Remove details
Old 11-01-2020, 04:13 PM

Default question

Would the guns be registered to her or is she the widow.There is a reason I'm asking so humour me if you will.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Default Not interested in buying or selling

The answer has to do with law ...........just advice.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Lads

A lady friend of mine has a small assortment of handgun left from a family sale. She does. have her Rpal, so she is legal

Thank ,...FS
As long as she is the original purchaser, meaning they were originally registered in her name upon purchase, or the original owner transferred ownership, in turn transferring the said firearms into her name, if the original owner passed away and they were sold in a estate sale, this would indicate that someone does indeed have the legal right to transfer ownership, unless sold illegally, This can be concluded with a call to the Cfo, If these firearms are not registered in her name threw the cfo, she is in illegal possession of the firearm!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
As long as she is the original purchaser, meaning they were originally registered in her name upon purchase, or the original owner transferred ownership, in turn transferring the said firearms into her name, if the original owner passed away and they were sold in a estate sale, this would indicate that someone does indeed have the legal right to transfer ownership, unless sold illegally, This can be concluded with a call to the Cfo, If these firearms are not registered in her name threw the cfo, she is in illegal possession of the firearm!
Not necessarily, if she is the executor of the estate and has filed the required form.

Last edited by Buckhead; 11-02-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:41 PM

Default you forgot

A death certificate.I'm still waiting on the AB /CFO to approve a handgun from Aug 4 at a residence 400 yards from where I live. All you get is excuses blaming covid and we are so busy it's not in the system yet.Here's a hint press a button.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:49 PM

Default Rpal

TS

She should check the conditions on her RPAL.

In the past my RPAL stipulated I could possess any legally registered handguns (not registered to me) as long as I had the Registration Certificate in my possession.
On my last renewal of my RPAL the conditions had changed to stipulate only handguns registered to me. They removed the provisions for possessing a handgun registered to someone else as long as I had the Certificate and to my knowledge never advertised the changes.

If she is in fact the Executor then there is no issue with her possessing the handguns whether or not she has an RPAL.

Phil
Old 11-02-2020, 08:50 PM

The applicable form requires the provision of the death certificate and if one were the executor she would have that on hand.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
TS

She should check the conditions on her RPAL.

In the past my RPAL stipulated I could possess any legally registered handguns (not registered to me) as long as I had the Registration Certificate in my possession.
On my last renewal of my RPAL the conditions had changed to stipulate only handguns registered to me. They removed the provisions for possessing a handgun registered to someone else as long as I had the Certificate and to my knowledge never advertised the changes.

If she is in fact the Executor then there is no issue with her possessing the handguns whether or not she has an RPAL.

Phil
That is correct. She could still posses the firearms until such time as they can be transferred to someone who could lawfully possess them. In this case since she has an RPAL that could even be herself.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:22 AM

Default I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
The applicable form requires the provision of the death certificate and if one were the executor she would have that on hand.
All sent in by FAX Aug4 been there done that.Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:13 AM

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is the possibility some of these guns may be prohibited. An RPAL would not be enough to legally posses them. I'm not sure how being executor of an estate plays into the situation, but a 12-6 (prohibited) classification is required to actually own / register them. I'm not sure if a person can even get a 12-6 designation any more. Also not sure what happens when those that do have this are no longer on this earth. I'm kind of thinking big brother steps in and confiscates the property, for the good of all of course. Can anyone offer more info?
Old 11-03-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
They are in her name
Old 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is the possibility some of these guns may be prohibited. An RPAL would not be enough to legally posses them. I'm not sure how being executor of an estate plays into the situation, but a 12-6 (prohibited) classification is required to actually own / register them. I'm not sure if a person can even get a 12-6 designation any more. Also not sure what happens when those that do have this are no longer on this earth. I'm kind of thinking big brother steps in and confiscates the property, for the good of all of course. Can anyone offer more info?
Non are prohibs