Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2024, 10:46 AM

Default DIY ice sonar shuttle ideas

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a Gelix 7 that I'm planning to convert to an ice unit. I've researched the major manufacturer shuttles, but can't swallow the price tags

I've made a portable shuttle for my Helix 5 with a humminbird flasher bag and some wood... works great, but the Helix 7 is much larger and won't fit in my current shuttle

I've watched videos of people using coolers, ammo boxes, and insulated boxes for DIY shuttles, but they all seem pretty bulky and awkward.

Just wondering what everyone else has done for their units.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S921W using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2024, 03:30 PM

I had the same thought of building my own using a knock off pelican case. Once I checked prices on an ice transducer, power cable, mount I was pretty close to the entire ice kit. Ended up just ordering that and saving myself some time. This was for a Garmin echomap.
Old 09-18-2024, 06:22 PM

Basspro had a zip down front backpack style bag that worked for me. Used wood to build a slide out base for my Lowrance. Works great. Rubber bottom. Lots of pockets.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2024, 08:01 AM

I have a Helix 8 in my HB shuttle. I put a silicone screen cover on the screen and flip the bag flap over it without zipping. I think some of the new shuttles have a set mounting bracket, but in my case I was able to use the bracket from the Helix 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-19-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I have a Helix 8 in my HB shuttle. I put a silicone screen cover on the screen and flip the bag flap over it without zipping. I think some of the new shuttles have a set mounting bracket, but in my case I was able to use the bracket from the Helix 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's the same bag I have for my helix 5. I never thought of just leaving it unzipped lol

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it

Sent from my SM-S921W using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2024, 10:30 AM

If you leave it unzipped thats probably the best. I had a helix 7 in a bag case (granted i think it was a vexilar case) and it would power on the unit when the bag was closed which wasn't ideal. When you lifted the bag when it was heavy enough it would pull in around the corner where the power button was and get it to the loading screen wasting battery.

I 3D printed one that works well enough for my 7. More like a vexilar style shuttle but it works good enough for me. And it cost about $17 in filament and 2-3 hours in design time.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:51 AM

1/4" plywood, I put a cloth bag over the screen for transport or take the screen off and put in the bag if I feel it might get damaged.

Filled out Watercraft commitment form-2 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

Thomas Sowell