Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2024, 08:29 AM

So, I figured out Oilers problem.

The Corey Perry Curse

Canadiens
Dallas
Tampa
.......Oilers.

He will be the only guy to make Finals with 4 different teams and not win.

The only way to change destiny is a live sacrifice. Gotta turn him loose nekid on 118th Ave with packets of meth and fentanyl taped to his body. Yep.

I knew that signing him was a mistake

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-15-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
So, I figured out Oilers problem.

The Corey Perry Curse

Canadiens
Dallas
Tampa
.......Oilers.

He will be the only guy to make Finals with 4 different teams and not win.

The only way to change destiny is a live sacrifice. Gotta turn him loose nekid on 118th Ave with packets of meth and fentanyl taped to his body. Yep.

I knew that signing him was a mistake
Well he won it with Anaheim which is more than anyone on the current roster has.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
The make up of a team financially through management is always interesting to me. Right now Florida has guys worth pennies on the dollar outperforming Oiler counterparts. I believe that despite this years finals the oilers are good enough to get back next year if the stars align. (It’s tough getting to round four) However, I do not see how it is possible for the Oilers to up the pay check of McDavid, Draisaitl, and Bouchard while at the same time bringing in some critical pieces to the puzzle. Florida is a good team, their management has made some great contract deals. Obviously the opposite has happened in Edmonton, it is the difference in this Stanley Cup finals in my opinion. Everyone knows the Nurse /Campbell combo cap hit value. So basically for that amount the Oilers now are getting Nurse while the Panthers have Bennet, Lundell, Rodrigues and Montour. When management can stretch dollars into production from multiple people like that the chances of winning are much higher.
Don't forget that Florida players don't pay any income tax. If they wanted a true level playing field, salaries would tax exempt for everyone, and owners would split the entire players tax bill 32 ways each season. This will never happen, but the weather is not the only thing drawing players to Florida.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Don't forget that Florida players don't pay any income tax. If they wanted a true level playing field, salaries would tax exempt for everyone, and owners would split the entire players tax bill 32 ways each season. This will never happen, but the weather is not the only thing drawing players to Florida.
Oh I didn’t forget forget and Im aware. It doesn’t diminish the good signings in my books for if that was the case Seattle, Dallas or Nashville would be the representative from the west.

Also NHL salaries are in US dollars so one could say a contract for an oiler could go further than one for a panther with the higher cost of living in the Miami metropolitan area. After exchange rate and taxes a 10 million dollar contract is worth very close to the same in each respective country’s currency and based on all sides I viewed, you’d need almost $8000 USD month in Miami to have the same standard of living as $6500 CDN dollars would get you in Edmonton. So, I again think their GM has done a better job than his counterpart.

Last edited by Rvsask; 06-15-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:54 PM

Oh! An Oilers fan!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-15-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Florida, Texas and Tennessee don't have State income tax. They do however have state sales tax and in some cases a city can impose it's own sales tax.

The teams with the biggest tax disadvantage are the California teams and the NY teams. Alberta's lack of sales tax helps the Flames and Oilers out a bit, but the other Canadian teams are at a definite disadvantage. (Flames and Oilers are still negatively impacted by taxes. )

I agree 100% that the league needs to do something to level the playing field. The difference in pay can certainly influence where a player to chooses to sign.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Florida, Texas and Tennessee don't have State income tax. They do however have state sales tax and in some cases a city can impose it's own sales tax.

The teams with the biggest tax disadvantage are the California teams and the NY teams. Alberta's lack of sales tax helps the Flames and Oilers out a bit, but the other Canadian teams are at a definite disadvantage. (Flames and Oilers are still negatively impacted by taxes. )

I agree 100% that the league needs to do something to level the playing field. The difference in pay can certainly influence where a player to chooses to sign.
People tend to forget that professional sports are first and foremost a business. Just like any private company, you choose to base yourself where the finances are to your advantage, and you avoid locations that will be a financial disadvantage. Other teams should not have to give up revenue, to support a team that chose a location that is at a financial disadvantage.