Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Pretty much.
Offered starting consultation focusing on conservation instead of doing nothing

What do you have besides complaining I am open to hearing it
Old 05-29-2024, 09:52 AM

If you two want to actually do more than talk crap here and want to actually put in effort in establishing support within the Alberta hunting community I am game

Or you can keep complaining about everything each year. Personally I see no point in debating with those who just want to cry about things
Old 05-29-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If you two want to actually do more than talk crap here and want to actually put in effort in establishing support within the Alberta hunting community I am game

Or you can keep complaining about everything each year. Personally I see no point in debating with those who just want to cry about things
I take out new/youth hunters, and help to increase our numbers, which is absolutely necessary to maintain any support for hunting in Alberta. I also volunteer my time at the local range to provide a safe environment to shoot, and to help teach new hunters to shoot safely, so we don't have accidental shooting that result in even
more restrictions for hunters/shooters. I also help people with firearms and reloading when I can.
I do what I do, to help the hunting community in a way that I actually see some return on my investment of time and effort.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I take out new/youth hunters, and help to increase our numbers, which is absolutely necessary to maintain any support for hunting in Alberta. I also volunteer my time at the local range to provide a safe environment to shoot, and to help teach new hunters to shoot safely, so we don't have accidental shooting that result in even
more restrictions for hunters/shooters. I also help people with firearms and reloading when I can.
I do what I do, to help the hunting community in a way that I actually see some return on my investment of time and effort.
Those are all good things and if that is what you feel is where you’re effort is best invested I can respect that

The reality is though with all the issues that get brought up on the forum nothing changes here just yapping. Nothing is going to change complaining on AO or trying to get someone to change their opinion on issues they have no interest in putting in the effort to do something about

So really why should I invest debating with someone who is not interested in doing anything about the issues that are constantly being complained about?

Keep doing the good things you do for the hunting community I give you props for what you do

I don’t need drama of dead end debates
Old 05-29-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Post after post after post stating this. Are you complaining or wanting an argument? I’m not exactly sure what you are doing to affect this change. Can you actually tell us what you are doing? Support within the hunting community? What does this mean? What does it look like? Do I have to pay money to an organization that says it’s helping? I’ve offered a lot more money here on this thread. But that wasn’t the answer apparently. Who needs their palms greased to make this work?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-29-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Post after post after post stating this. Are you complaining or wanting an argument? I’m not exactly sure what you are doing to affect this change. Can you actually tell us what you are doing? Support within the hunting community? What does this mean? What does it look like? Do I have to pay money to an organization that says it’s helping? I’ve offered a lot more money here on this thread. But that wasn’t the answer apparently. Who needs their palms greased to make this work?
What it means is if you or anyone else that matter wants to do something about issues you see with hunting here in Alberta effort to bring forward proposals with evidence showing support from a large portion of the hunting community needs to happen

What is needed is hunter involvement pushing in a unified directions. Start with simple changes that most would agree on and moving forward. Hunters actually investing time and development of communication vs most being in the dark.

Presently most have little to no knowledge or input in the direction of organization like the AFGA that are supposed to be representing our interests and wonder why nothing changes. In simple terms if even half the complaining done on AO or other forms of hunting social media was actually put together and presented as a unified voice to govt and F&W we might actually see some of the things we complain about each year get resolved

Throwing a membership fee at an organization doesn’t solve problems showing up and getting directly involved is what is needed. Start digging into how few people are actually showing up and putting in the work in the hunting organizations representing resident hunters. It’s basically a handful of retired guys with little to no new blood coming in

First is picking battles wisely focusing on getting results and not fighting other users. Things have been pushed aside or ignored well everyone chases their tail fight each other for a piece

Money being put towards wildlife and conservation is great but with out direction it will be squandered

No I don’t want an argument but mostly sick of seeing the same old problems not being addressed complained about all the time instead of concerns becoming a unified voice directed towards F&W and govt
Old 05-29-2024, 01:44 PM

I’ve done it all. Money, letters, phone calls, emails……

It’s been just as productive complaining here.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-29-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I’ve done it all. Money, letters, phone calls, emails……

It’s been just as productive complaining here.
Doing it as a lone individual is way tougher hence why I am saying unified voice

At least you have tried to get someone to listen
Old 05-29-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Doing it as a lone individual is way tougher hence why I am saying unified voice

At least you have tried to get someone to listen
So what is your suggestion? I’m not asking for a pat answer. I’m looking for your plan.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-29-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
So what is your suggestion? I’m not asking for a pat answer. I’m looking for your plan.
There definitely is no quick fix

1 of 2 things need to be done first is either rework the AFGA and build it up or the long hard way is develop a new organization to represent resident hunters in Alberta. The old school method of tacking on memberships to range fees is not bringing in active contributing members and I bet there is many who have a membership without even realizing it. More effort to be involved with members and communication to bring on discussion about issues in Alberta along with more direction from members. There needs to be engagement to bring in new blood and younger generations. This means improving engagement through social media

I will stop there on that subject but this a starting point

One thing that needs to come to an end is the fighting over scraps amongst user groups. It’s the same old same old different user groups are fighting over a piece of a dwindling pie instead of putting pressure on the government to focus on wildlife enhancement, predator control, access, habitat enchantment and I think you get the gist. Dreams of removing outfitters and getting equal hunting rights with FN needs to die these are wasted battles. Ignore that battle and start approaching theses groups regarding putting pressure on government to focus on issues that all will benefit from. Unfortunately there is presently a lack of trust here because of fighting over scrapes. Start looking for the common ground as it can be used to apply pressure on issues that matter

Simply put focus on pressure to improve wildlife numbers and yup even FN want game populations to increase

Many small issues like Albertas lack of residency requirement really just needs to be proposed with a strong argument and support. Stuff like this shows how much we lack representation

But the wife is wanting to go mushroom picking so I will stop there. Yes there is a crap load more but this is a stating point. Yes my OCD has even thought about things in more detail with each issue but that can be brought forward if things are beyond fluff on AO

There is a ton of change and work needed to get anything accomplished. Can’ts, too hards, and speculation preventing attempts with different user groups without putting in effort is the biggest things from preventing change
Old 05-29-2024, 03:49 PM

Default Quota Reduction

Just started to look at the Draw Quote, I cant believe the reduction in Draw Quota.

Wild Turkey
2021 - 200
2022 - 200
2023 - 150
2024 - 50!

At this rate you will now need Priority 20 to draw! I would like to understand the actual success rate and understand why there is a massive tag reduction!
Old 05-29-2024, 04:38 PM

Quote:
There definitely is no quick fix

1 of 2 things need to be done first is either rework the AFGA and build it up or the long hard way is develop a new organization to represent resident hunters in Alberta. The old school method of tacking on memberships to range fees is not bringing in active contributing members and I bet there is many who have a membership without even realizing it. More effort to be involved with members and communication to bring on discussion about issues in Alberta along with more direction from members. There needs to be engagement to bring in new blood and younger generations. This means improving engagement through social media

I will stop there on that subject but this a starting point

One thing that needs to come to an end is the fighting over scraps amongst user groups. It’s the same old same old different user groups are fighting over a piece of a dwindling pie instead of putting pressure on the government to focus on wildlife enhancement, predator control, access, habitat enchantment and I think you get the gist. Dreams of removing outfitters and getting equal hunting rights with FN needs to die these are wasted battles. Ignore that battle and start approaching theses groups regarding putting pressure on government to focus on issues that all will benefit from. Unfortunately there is presently a lack of trust here because of fighting over scrapes. Start looking for the common ground as it can be used to apply pressure on issues that matter

Simply put focus on pressure to improve wildlife numbers and yup even FN want game populations to increase

Many small issues like Albertas lack of residency requirement really just needs to be proposed with a strong argument and support. Stuff like this shows how much we lack representation

But the wife is wanting to go mushroom picking so I will stop there. Yes there is a crap load more but this is a stating point. Yes my OCD has even thought about things in more detail with each issue but that can be brought forward if things are beyond fluff on AO

There is a ton of change and work needed to get anything accomplished. Can’ts, too hards, and speculation preventing attempts with different user groups without putting in effort is the biggest things from preventing change
The AFGA lost many thousands of members, when some of the largest ranges broke all affiliation with them.I was a member of two ranges that broke affiliation, because the members didn't want to pay for the AFGA membership as part of their range membership. The AFGA refuses to speak out against the firearms bans , which was a big factor, and many range members are not hunters these days. Between those two reasons, the AFGA , despite it's new name, won't win back the members that it lost.So if you want a strong group to attract hunters to , it will need to be an entirely new group.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The AFGA lost many thousands of members, when some of the largest ranges broke all affiliation with them.I was a member of two ranges that broke affiliation, because the members didn't want to pay for the AFGA membership as part of their range membership. The AFGA refuses to speak out against the firearms bans , which was a big factor, and many range members are not hunters these days. Between those two reasons, the AFGA , despite it's new name, won't win back the members that it lost.So if you want a strong group to attract hunters to , it will need to be an entirely new group.
Yup last couple years I have been researching the AFGA and spoken to a few members. There definitely has been a few issues I have come across beyond what you even posted. That said it seems there are those in the organization that see a need for change. The biggest thing I noticed and you see with many organizations is a lack of those 40 and under being involved. The other is just an overall lack of people willing to get involved resulting as some staying in positions in an organization just to fill a seat

Either way neither approach is fast or easy