Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 10:13 PM

Default Boat recommendations for southern Alberta

I’m looking for some boat recommendations. I live in Chestermere. I fly fish and regular fish both the bow and local lakes like chain lakes and others.

Is there a “unicorn” that would be suitable for a family of 4 to do both? I’ve paddled canoes, kayaks, jon boats. But is there a boat that seats 4 that can be used on all southern Alberta water? I’ve looked at inflatables and every thing else? I’m struggling to fit a family of 4. I typically drift from McKinnon flats to Carsland. I fished most lakes within a 2 hour drive. But I need to find something that holds me, wife, 2kids.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2024, 10:37 PM

Kingfisher 1875 fast water or extreme shallow in 2075 I think it is
Old 09-21-2024, 09:01 AM

What is your budget? if you plan to fish rivers you will need a jet boat and they are pricey.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
What is your budget? if you plan to fish rivers you will need a jet boat and they are pricey.
Yes, adding the river component to the equation really does add a lot of bucks. In my opinion buy a boat for lakes and wade the rivers will save a ton of bucks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-21-2024, 10:19 AM

A drift boat or river raft will handle four people quite easily but they are not ideal on a lake and most don't handle a motor well. A 16' John boat with a jet outboard will hold 4 and will work on a river or a lake, as long as the lake does not have large waves. A 16' Lund will work well on the Lake and decent on the river as long as you don't try to run too shallow. You can run them with a Jet Outboard or a standard prop drive if you are good at reading rivers and add a prop cage and guard, and run with the motor not locked in the down position.

Big trick on rivers is you want a boat light enough you can manhandle it is you need to.

More plush version

Last edited by Dean2; 09-21-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yes, adding the river component to the equation really does add a lot of bucks.
But it is well worth it not to fight the crowds and generally get to the spots nobody but jet boaters can
Old 09-21-2024, 12:54 PM

Default Boats = Spending Money. LOL.

The biggest thing is budget and what you are willing to spend. I’ve got a Stryker pro 650( 16.5 ft) with a 60/40 Merc jet which works good on both lakes and rivers but has two main draw backs. You lose space for people and gear because it’s an inflatable and with the jet on really rough water you can get some cavitation if you try to go full speed.
Stryker has good Black Friday sales.
Other than those two issues it’s been great.