Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Saturday pre game concert looks great
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about Taylor Sweep!!!

Florida will be coming with both barrels on Saturday!
4 and 0
Old 06-13-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Close enough….. I’m a call that one a win.
Hopefully we can tie it up Saturday and head back to Florida even.
We takin the cup this year no matter what!
I saw what you did there........& I like it

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-13-2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddin View Post
Just like the 2nd and 3rd round of the NHL playoffs, the final round is the best of 7.
I’d still be surprised if they win a game. It takes a team effort but with Nurse and Skinner continuing their stellar play I don’t think so. Watching Skinner and watching Bobrovsky is like watching someone in atom vs someone in the Pros.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:27 PM

You can’t win the Stanley cup when your team continually gives the puck away right after you get back in the game. Gut wrenching and heartbreaking for your team. Oh well maybe just another learning experience for a mature team that can’t seem to figure it out.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Oilers beat themselves and the panthers Just sit back a wait to pounce on the mistakes. Plain and simple oilers not good enough tonight to win the game.
Florida had done plenty of mistakes too. Today was the first breakaway Edmonton capitalized on. They had like 4 or something in the first game, more in the second, but never scored on any of them. Unless you count the only goal they scored last game, two on one.

You can see the weakness and it is basically everywhere but the top guys: Macdee, Dri, Hyman, Hopkins. And those guys are overworked. These four guys and Bouchard have combined 128 points and the rest of the team has 51. Only five guys are in the positive in the +/- category, but nine are negative (most way below and the lowest is -14). Florida’s top five scorers share 89 points between them and the rest of the team has 75; 15 players are positive and 4 below zero (-2 is the lowest). Edmonton’s defense is -23 combined; Florida’s is +32. Frosling, top scoring d-man for Florida, has 12 points but is + 15. Bouchard has a whooping 28 points but is +10 (Nurse is -14 with 4 points). Basically, Florida defense is doing what they are supposed to do and that is defend. Florida came to win the Cup, not score points.

Then see my comments after every game in regard to the ice time of the big guns, they spend at least 8 minutes more on ice than others. They even spend more time on ice than their defensemen do except for Bouchard who is out there to score and assist. Today, Macdee played over 25 minutes, Drai 24, Hyman just short of 24, NH over 22, while Brown, the next forward, play 14 minutes. The previous two games were about the same (the same was true in the previous series). Florida is quite different: Barkov played 20, Reinhart just shy of 20, the next 4 played between 17 and 17:33.

Goaltending… Well…you have to give credit to Skinner because he has done “relatively well” in these series but still never reached 0.900 saves percentage in any of the games. Bob, on the other hand, had his worst game today and ended up with 0.915 - one was a breakaway (he stopped quite a few in these series though and this was the first) and one was some crazy bounce that was never supposed to get inside the net, but as it happens in hockey… Bob will take the Conn Smythe if they win on Saturday, which they should (but Bob is also prone to a bad game now and then and he was hot as hell for the past… no idea, but at least 5 or 6).

So yeah, it just doesn’t look like any of the math is on Oiler’s side. It wasn’t on their side when they played Dallas though either and probably shouldn’t have won (blasphemy!) but they did and here we are. I think Dallas playing Florida would be a much better hockey to watch, to be honest.

To conclude, the only chance for Edmonton to see the Cup is if they lose on Saturday.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
For the stats guys, the first game’s stats:
Quote:
Old 06-13-2024, 11:48 PM

Another thought to add: if Oilers lose in Florida, it will be Vancouver that will see the cup before Edmonton when Reinhart beings it home. Lol.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:09 AM

I think it is funny how folks, especially Flames and Canuck fans, are on here bashing the Oilers. They beat Pacific champs, then the Central Champs and #2 in league, and now they are in the cup finals. Loss the first game 3-0 with an EN, 2nd game was 4-1 with an EN, and then last night was 4-3.

Some people have such a short memory of last years cup finals. Were the Panthers a horrible team last year?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023 Cup Finals.jpg (21.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:17 AM

I see we've been going to easy on you guys if these comments are "bashing".
Old 06-14-2024, 08:21 AM

Maybe the title to this thread is a curse
Old 06-14-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Maybe the title to this thread is a curse
Curse???

Wait till Tkachuk raises the cup in Edmontons barn.

Now that will be a curse on steroids lmao…
Old 06-14-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I think it is funny how folks, especially Flames and Canuck fans, are on here bashing the Oilers. They beat Pacific champs, then the Central Champs and #2 in league, and now they are in the cup finals. Loss the first game 3-0 with an EN, 2nd game was 4-1 with an EN, and then last night was 4-3.

Some people have such a short memory of last years cup finals. Were the Panthers a horrible team last year?
The simple fact, is that there will be one set of names going on the Stanley Cup, and the rest of the teams are losers, whether they lost in the finals, or never made the playoffs.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Please don’t bash my Canucks.

Saturday then it’s golf season!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-14-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact, is that there will be one set of names going on the Stanley Cup, and the rest of the teams are losers, whether they lost in the finals, or never made the playoffs.
Ok there Ricki Bobby!
Old 06-14-2024, 09:11 AM

Default 3-0

That LOSS looks good on them and that fanbase. I was enthralled how quiet that building became....pin drop quiet hahaha. Enjoy that LOSS.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Curse???

Wait till Tkachuk raises the cup in Edmontons barn.

Now that will be a curse on steroids lmao…
heads will explode lol
Old 06-14-2024, 09:32 AM

Well I was hoping for a last minute tie and overtime. Ugggh.

One goalie is lights out, one isn't. That's the defining line in this series in my opinion. Otherwise it is maybe a different series.

That being said, Panthers are the better team, hard to say as a Oilers fan. I am hoping for a win on sat so the Turtle don't raise the cup in our building. Win 3 more, even this die hard knows it won't happen but hoping for a miracle. When it ends, it will have been a great run to the final and exciting to watch.

Then reset, make some changes and go for it again.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:37 AM

It seems most of fla goals are the result of an oilers turnover or mistake. Oiler 4 goals are not the result of panther turnovers or mistake. Florida has great team defence commitment from forwards to D to goalie. To me Hollland and Jackson made a critical error at the trade deadline sending a 2024 first round pick ( albeit 30th something) and a 2026 fouth for Henrique and Carrick ( both UFA) when they most likely could have got maybe Tanev or Edmundson or Zadorev or most any other 3-4 defenceman available for the pick. Please I cannot watch Tkachuck lift the cup in Alberta.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Another thought to add: if Oilers lose in Florida, it will be Vancouver that will see the cup before Edmonton when Reinhart beings it home. Lol.
So your saying Vancouver will see a Stanley cup in my lifetime
Old 06-14-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
Please I cannot watch Tkachuck lift the cup in Alberta.
Apparently the Cup rings are going to be a special design motif this year.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-14-2024, 10:39 AM

It seems most of fla goals are the result of an oilers turnover or mistake. Oiler 4 goals are not the result of panther turnovers or mistake. Florida has great team defence commitment from forwards to D to goalie. To me Hollland and Jackson made a critical error at the trade deadline sending a 2024 first round pick ( albeit 30th something) and a 2026 fouth for Henrique and Carrick ( both UFA) when they most likely could have got maybe Tanev or Edmundson or Zadorev or most any other 3-4 defenceman available for the picks. Please I cannot watch Tkachuck lift the cup in Alberta.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
It seems most of fla goals are the result of an oilers turnover or mistake. Oiler 4 goals are not the result of panther turnovers or mistake. Florida has great team defence commitment from forwards to D to goalie. To me Hollland and Jackson made a critical error at the trade deadline sending a 2024 first round pick ( albeit 30th something) and a 2026 fouth for Henrique and Carrick ( both UFA) when they most likely could have got maybe Tanev or Edmundson or Zadorev or most any other 3-4 defenceman available for the picks. Please I cannot watch Tkachuck lift the cup in Alberta.
Lotta maybes might haves and possblies in that statement.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Lotta maybes might haves and possblies in that statement.
Last year when the Oilers went out in the second round Draisaitl and McDavid said Stanley Cup Finals or Bust. Well they got to the SCF. Will they win...I'd love to see a game 7. As an Oilers fan I've been lucky enough to witness 2 game 7's with one in '86 and the other in '06. More than some can say.

These Oilers are learning what it takes. Kudo's to the Panthers, they have the hockey gods on their side so far. They also have SCF experience.

BW
Old 06-14-2024, 12:10 PM

Those darn hockey gods, helping an inferior team win.....bastards must not have gotten the memo.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone