Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2024, 09:13 PM

Default Rolled Muddlers and Royal Coachman Streamers

Hi guys
There are rwo patterns I used extensively when on the Old Man and the Waterton Rivers. They were the Muddler Minnoe and the Royal Coachman streamer. I slayed the trout with them. The Royal Coachman hasn't changed but the Muddler Minnoe has now become a Rolled Muddler which works even better now no matter where I use it. It has a much smaller head.
The Royal Coachman is tied with Polar Bear hair, sometimes with a little crystal flash added to the wing.
The Rolled Muddler Is a west coast pattern tied for the Cutthroat trout. The feather used is mallard flank. Use lots. Tear or cut off the mallard feather, cut off the fibre holding the fibres together, wet your fingers and roll the feather between your fingers, Hence a Rolled feathered fly. You have to roll the feather or the fly will not ride right in the water. The body is tyed with silver or gold braid or chinelle. Look on the net for better pattern dicripions. Use lots of glue when tying these flies as the trout are hard on them.
I hope these photos come through OK
BJay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolled muddlers.jpg (56.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Royal coachman flies.jpg (53.7 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Bjay; 05-23-2024 at 09:24 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 05-31-2024, 04:54 PM

Thanks for sharing. I love the oldman west of 40. I don’t tie my own (yet) so I’m always looking for what works for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk