Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2024, 08:13 PM

Cool Do It mold issues

Hey guys,

I recently got into molding my own jigs (super fun by the way) but I am noticing that some are not coming out complete, mostly with the minnow jig head mold. The regular jig mold I have has a better success rate than the minnow mold (both are Do it molds). I followed the trouble shoot page that came with the mold with no to minimal success, including holding the mold straight. Even turning up the heat on the lead pot did not improve any. The lead stream is consistent and not just dripping fast.

BTW, this occurs not only at the start but well into making jigs with this mold, so the mold is hot, pre heated on the pot before use.

Does any one have a trick to get a more complete pour out of this mold? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggelaar22 View Post
Hey guys,

I recently got into molding my own jigs (super fun by the way) but I am noticing that some are not coming out complete, mostly with the minnow jig head mold. The regular jig mold I have has a better success rate than the minnow mold (both are Do it molds). I followed the trouble shoot page that came with the mold with no to minimal success, including holding the mold straight. Even turning up the heat on the lead pot did not improve any. The lead stream is consistent and not just dripping fast.

BTW, this occurs not only at the start but well into making jigs with this mold, so the mold is hot, pre heated on the pot before use.

Does any one have a trick to get a more complete pour out of this mold? Any help would be appreciated.
Either air locked or the lead not hot enough.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-20-2024, 09:37 AM

I use dry graphite lube to help flow on some of my molds, candle soot works too, but graphite spray is easier.

How pure is your lead, I have found the more pure the lead is the better it flows.

Some molds are just an unavoidable PIA.

flow rate should not matter with anything under 3/4 oz.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 06-20-2024, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the insight.

Yeah even having the melter at max did not fix this issue. As for lead purity, I am unsure of purity as I got a bunch of lead from a bud who was getting out of casting.

I will try the graphite trick and see what happens.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:23 PM

I had the same problem as you. The solution I found was to preheat the mold with a small propane torch. worked fine when i did that.
Old 06-30-2024, 11:53 AM

Seahawk is right
I have been pouring jigs for 50 years. You need to prehat the mold.
Bjay