Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 09:51 AM

Default Slingers

Are there any slingers (shepherd's sling) on this board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sling.jpg (15.2 KB, 135 views)

"An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes." Sun Tzu

Last edited by TrollGRG; 09-20-2024 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:49 AM

Funny to see this come up here. I have been watching a lot of content of the history of these shepherds slings or Balearic slings. Very interesting ancient weapon. The time investment to become accurate enough to hunt with one seems astronomical. Watching guys that are very skilled still seems to be a crap shoot where or if you hit your target.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:57 AM

It seems that the more you try to impress people the more you miss the target. If you just take it easy and don't try too hard (too fast or too hard or too far) you usually get much better results. I guess it is like being a gunslinger. You win when you are the most accurate not necessarily the fastest.

I hate to think how many rounds I put through my rifle before I could get a 5 round cloverleaf at more than 200 yards.

"An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes." Sun Tzu
Old 09-21-2024, 01:13 PM

The underhand throw seems to work best for long term use - it is the easiest on the body for me anyway . Accuracy for me is literally hit or miss I didn't take it up until in my forties and occasionally hit what I am aiming at , using uniform ammo is important otherwise forget being accurate. My first sling was a bit too long so I cut it back to about 30"long which helps a bit .

It is a fascinating challenging sport. Lots of interesting videos on utube
Old 09-21-2024, 04:50 PM

Right. No matter what everyone else is doing and what works for them. You have to do what what works for you. Develop your own style and practice. Good for you.

Old 09-21-2024, 07:58 PM

Slingshots, frameless slingshot, shephards sling, sling staff.....try to use them all...better at some than others but all are fun to mess around with. Except for the sling shot and frameless slingshot your pretty safe down range from me unless I'm trying to miss you lol.