Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2024, 02:18 PM

Default bergara

wanting to purchase a bergara hunter in 22-250 read up on it seems like a good rifle anyone have one or had any experience wit them i would appreciate some advise ty
Old 06-13-2024, 03:15 PM

I have developed loads for two Bergara rifles, both were extremely fussy load wise, and both copper fouled badly.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:15 PM

The other consideration is they need to be piilar or glass bedded. The stocks are very soft and do not hold the action properly. I would buy a Vanguard or Howa long before a Bergara
Old 06-13-2024, 06:25 PM

Maybe I should be looking at tikka?
Old 06-13-2024, 10:05 PM

I have a bergara B14 ridge in 308. Have found it neither hard to reload for nor does the stock flex excessively. For a factory trigger I consider it excellent. It shoots under 1/2” and I just stopped trying to get smaller groups since that’s adequate for my needs. Run a SilencerCo omega suppressor and enjoy ears that don’t ring. I wouldn’t say the stock is fantastic but it’s better than an sps stock and doesn’t feel as Tupperware like as the tikka. Having said that I have always wanted to drop it in a manners or McMillan m40 style stock because I like the look. Unfortunately I found a 336 that I spent my fun $$ on this summer. At least now there’s only 2 more guns I need/want…
Old 06-13-2024, 11:50 PM

I can't comment on the Hunter stocks but I have both my 3 Bergaras to be very accurate.

I have not started load development as I am working away from home with lots of hours so I'm away from my reloading equipment.
I have a 6.5 PRC that I did change the stock out on because I really dislike the feel of the classic huning stocks, I much prefer the vertical grip style of the HMR, or other various stocks.

On my first day of shooting the PRC or my 6.5 CM, I was shooting about 5/8" groups with both. PRC was Hornady Precision Hunter, the CM was Sako Range.

I'm happier with the Bergara than I am with the other rifles I have, or have had. I haven't had any custom jobs but have or have had Savage, Weatherby, Tikka, Remington, Kimber, and a couple others.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:53 AM

Had a friend pop by with her new B14 last Sunday. Cabela’s held true and the streak continues - I’ve yet to see a scope install performed by them that I haven’t had to tear down and do over entirely. Brutally poor job. Anyway, I liked the feel of the stock. Really liked the texture. The trigger wasn’t bad at all. Set at 2.25lbs and I had no complaints; which was a pleasant surprise, as I’ve become a touch of a trigger snob. The action ran smooth. Bore scope showed that the machining work was good.

Bore scope also showed copper fouling from their test firing at the factory. Cleaned before shooting and it did clean up relatively easy. It was accurate enough with 140gr Berger Hybrids. I believe it was factory Federal. 6.5 Creed. Shot 6 groups that were all right around an inch at 100 yards. Nothing super tight but nothing erratic either.

To echo Elk though, I was a bit surprised by how much copper the bore scope showed after only 18 rounds. Guess we will see how it shapes up moving forward. I’m not sure if my funds would be going that direction on a purchase or not but, at first blush, can’t say as I’d discount or ignore them entirely either.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:28 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but just recently, while waiting at the gun counter once at Cabela's in Calgary, I was behind an older gent with his m94 and a nice Weaver blued steel scope. He was looking to get some rings and side mounts.
There was a guy behind the counter that by just looking at him, immediately you knew he wouldn't know what he was doing.
The older gent said he would like to see the mounts and dry fit them to his gun to make sure the scope fit well and cleared the eye relief etc.
The employee was adamant that he would have to take it to the back to get it fitted.
Right then, you just knew something bad was coming.

Employee comes out, scope is crooked and eye relief is way off, so I hear the gentleman say "I'm just gonna move a few things, please give me my gun"
the employee says "oh no I'll do it for you" and literally turned the scope back and forth to get the eye relief and straightened out the cross hairs
The only problem was he didn't loosen the rings....you could hear the scraping of the steel rings against the steel tube.

buddy's mint condition Weaver from the 60's immediately ruined by some cocky idiot behind the counter.

The worst part was his supervisor (older guy with white hair) came around and after hearing the whole story said "scopes aren't meant to stay nice, what do you expect" in the most dismissive and inconvenienced way.
the man was furious, I was shocked...
he complained to the store manager but I never got to see the outcome of it all.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:12 PM

Anybody that lets Cabelas touch any gun, scope or other high value gear really is going to be unhappy. There is zero training provided to their staff. Some have a ue, most couldnt operate a shopping cart.

Back to the topic at hand. If you get a good Bergara, and the higher end models, they usually work okay. If you get one with issues, like a feed problems, bad chamber, bad barrel or the like, best of luck getting it fixed properly. The warranty service in Canada truly sucks.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:49 PM

Dean, which Bergara have you or do you own?
Old 06-14-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Dean, which Bergara have you or do you own?
Don't own one, never have. Just helped a few guys that were having issues, with theirs. Admittedly I only got involved because guys were having issues, and that likely skews my perspective, but i have done the se for lots of owners of other makes. Outside of Ruger i have zero recall of an agency S diffi ult to get improved performacecd
Old 06-14-2024, 08:05 PM

I was at the range today, and another Bergara that was giving the owner fits. The owner had tried several loads, and still hadn't found one that the rifle liked. The rifle had a heavier contour barrel, and the stock had a more upright grip, and an adjustable comb, but I don't know the Bergara models.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was at the range today, and another Bergara that was giving the owner fits. The owner had tried several loads, and still hadn't found one that the rifle liked. The rifle had a heavier contour barrel, and the stock had a more upright grip, and an adjustable comb, but I don't know the Bergara models.
Sounds like an HMR. I have heard they like copper fouling. My b14 ridge doesn’t have that issue from what I’ve seen after several hundred rounds through it. Still shoots 1/2” or less with 165gr accubonds.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Don't own one, never have. Just helped a few guys that were having issues, with theirs. Admittedly I only got involved because guys were having issues, and that likely skews my perspective, but i have done the se for lots of owners of other makes. Outside of Ruger i have zero recall of an agency S diffi ult to get improved performacecd
What kind of issues were they having? What did you do to help them?
Old 06-14-2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Sounds like an HMR. I have heard they like copper fouling. My b14 ridge doesn’t have that issue from what I’ve seen after several hundred rounds through it. Still shoots 1/2” or less with 165gr accubonds.
Can confirm. My wilderness ridge was driving me crazy, then started reading that they liked some fouling. Tightened right up, have shot it 1000yds+ many times and it’ll hold sub MOA. Cloverleafs at 200 all day. Is a more accurate rifle than my RMR, as long as the tube is reasonably fouled. Clean bore I was ready to chuck it in the trees.

Guys want a seriously good budget rifle, don’t look past the Sauer 100’s. I’ve yet to see one that didn’t shoot unbelievably. Hands down my favourite rifle in the sub $2K category (can find them sub $1K if you look hard enough) and honestly I prefer to many I’ve had over $3K.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
What kind of issues were they having? What did you do to help them?
Bedding helped a couple of them, the other 4, one had a really badly cut chamber, two had bad barrels (I didn't know some liked to be heavily fouled till I read this on here) and the last one had feeding issues. Those 4 all went back for warranty, 2 that I know of, more than once.

300Magman Agree on the Sauer being a great shooting rifle. Never shot the new 100 but have shot some of their other models when I was in Europe. Really nice rifles and very accurate. They even make a couple of left hand models.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:17 PM

One thing I believe may be a pesky issue with Bergara is primer flow into the firing pin hole, seems they have large firing pin holes. See pics posted of that fairly regularly on reloading sites. Haven't seen any that were super bad, but, it is a pretty common site, if folk ask what gun it is, usually a Bergara.
Old 06-15-2024, 04:19 PM

I own a HMR wilderness and it shoots lights out, the action is arguably as smooth if not smoother then my tikka. Developed a load in 2 trips to the range that shoots sub moa and liked factory hornady ammo as well. Honestly no complaints with the rifle.
1 common issue with the stock is they paint over the action bolt mounts, if you remove the stock and clean the paint off it fixes it right away.
+1 Bergara rifles
Old 06-15-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
One thing I believe may be a pesky issue with Bergara is primer flow into the firing pin hole, seems they have large firing pin holes. See pics posted of that fairly regularly on reloading sites. Haven't seen any that were super bad, but, it is a pretty common site, if folk ask what gun it is, usually a Bergara.
Not just Begaras, the newer winchester model 70's, at least all 5 Portugese manufactured ones I've had have oversize firing pin arpetures..
Old 06-15-2024, 07:30 PM

I have a Bergara HMR 6.5 CM It shoots Quite Good I changed out the factory trigger to a Trigger Tech Special as the B trigger would not go light enough for me . I shoot Sierra 142 Match HPBT bullets over H4350
It feeds very Well .I like it . RJ
Old 06-15-2024, 07:31 PM

Please delete

Last edited by 6MT; 06-15-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Anybody that lets Cabelas touch any gun, scope or other high value gear really is going to be unhappy. There is zero training provided to their staff. Some have a ue, most couldnt operate a shopping cart.

Back to the topic at hand. If you get a good Bergara, and the higher end models, they usually work okay. If you get one with issues, like a feed problems, bad chamber, bad barrel or the like, best of luck getting it fixed properly. The warranty service in Canada truly sucks.
That would be LIKE with any manufacture RJ
Old 06-17-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
That would be LIKE with any manufacture RJ
Actually, not true. I have personally had issues with 2 Savages, one Weatherby and an Anschutz. In EVERY case the warranty service was exceptional. Easy to deal with and fixed right first time. Same with Leica, Leupold and Bushnell, Redding, Lynman, Hornady and rcbs. There are still a large number of great companies that really look after you as a client. Those are the ones I buy from, as well as companies whos products I have never had problems with.