View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Likely spawning in daisy chains at the time. No interest in feeding. Best when fishing to be in an areas that has other species to chase...just in case.
Very little is really known about bone fish movements,,,but they do leave the flats from time to time often in response to weather ( "they can smell the weather, mon" as the guides will often say),,,,, or to spawn in deep water as Sundance mentioned which can occur around any given full moon (but not necessarily every full moon) during the year.

Usually you cannot predict these events ahead of time , though you could plan your time your trip away from the full moon if you are concerned about the possibility of the bones spawning in deep water. However that said, over the last 27 years I have bone fished in over 15 different locations for bone fish spending from 2 to 6 weeks per yearand have only experienced the situation twice where all bones left the flats to spawn during a full moon.,,, and given the strong tides that occurr around full moon have had some of my best fishing around full moons.

Now the weather on the other hand, wind and cloud, has certainly put a much bigger damper on bone fishing,,,, the reason I am writing this is 25 MPH winds today are keeping us onshore in the the southeast Bahamas.