View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Default time in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Sounds likes great way to poach a deer. All night up in the stand on a full moon, bow in hand. Monster buck walks by under your stand in your shooting lane. Thwack no one but you and the deer hear the arrow. By sun up he's dead and you have all day to track him. Makes perfect sense.

A guy that has the dedication to stay in the woods all night for the love of the wild is good to me. A few season's ago It was the day before rifle opener, I took my rifle out to make a few long distance shots while hunting grouse. it was about 1/2 hour to days end, looking down a cut line for something distinctive enough to shoot at 350-400 yrds, what comes out of the trees at 123yrds..... the LARGEST bull elk iv ever seen 7 on one side 8 on the other, Had my 7mmrem mag in hand the evening before opening day middle of no-where, could have easily dropped my first elk that day and came back in the morning to load it out. nope just watched him disappear into the trees, the only chance Iv had at a bull in 4 years. sure it was tempting im not gonna lie, but not all of us are redneck hillbillies waiting to blow everything away. I can respect a guy to the fullest respect for wanting to hang out in the woods all night. done it more then once myself, damn beavers can be sneaky and scare the crap out of a guy when you turn around to grab a beer and one is right there!! I would actually encourage everyone here to spend a night or two or 5 watching over a field, stream crossing, or any other high traffic area. Alot of critters, well just about all of them wonder around at some point after dark you would be surprized what you might see, even ol' saskwach wont see you untill its to late !!!