View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
We could sell off 100% of the crown land in Alberta ans it wouldn't put a dent in the annual deficit let alone the accumulated debt. The is a truly STUPID idea with very short term perspective. The Alberta Fish and Game has come out strongly against this and so should all Albertans.
Agreed.

But I also think it is inevitable for a number of reasons.

For one, the world population and Canada's population is growing rapidly. More land will be needed and the demand will only increase with time.

Second. When a politician decides he or she wants something done he or she will find a way to make it happen, either by spreading misinformation or by outright lying to the public. We've seen it over and over in recent years.
And election after election the majority elect more of the same.

If it's not sold off, it will be developed in other ways which are not wildlife friendly. Leased perhaps, logged off and turned into a government sanctioned tree plantation perhaps, or burnt off as they have done with the hills along the Peace River. Yeah I know that was supposed to enhance those hills for wildlife habitat. Actually it seems it was about enhancing it for Elk habitat. To the detriment of other species.

And finally from my prospective, we have bigger issues to be concerned about.

If today we persuade our politicians that selling off this small bit of land is not in our best interests, have we gained anything if we continue to tear up wild places with our quads and our industrial activity?

There was a time when all of Alberta and for that matter, all of North America was wild, undeveloped wilderness. Today we all live on land that was not so long ago, wildlife habitat.

At what point do we halt the development and for what reason? Who will give up what in order to bring that development to a halt?

We get all worked up when it is our hunting that is threatened but what about our neighbors food and housing needs.

So long as we behave as though we are the only ones on this planet that matter, we can not expect anyone else to give up anything for our sake.

I don't believe in rules and regulations as a means to solve our problems.
I don't believe we should expect our government to bail us out when we make poor choices.

But I have little hope that enough individuals or mankind as a whole will ever take responsibility for the part we play in creating our problems, for it to make a difference.
It's rare today, even in the hunting community, for any individual to give up anything for the sake of our fellow hunters much less the greater good.

George Bernard Shaw