View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
This is a .243 Win bullet (100 gr soft point ) that killed a mature cow elk a couple months ago, around a hundred meter shot, broke shoulder, blew vitals apart, stopped at hide far side behind opposite shoulder , elk died pretty much on the spot , the spent bull it weighs around 60+ grs ,

Cow dressed out about 400 pounds in cooler

No magnum needed for that type of shot,

90% of all big game is taken within 200 yards,

If your shot sucks, it does not matter WHAT caliber your missing with,, or what brand of bullet you had
True, but I just don't have as much confidence in it yet. Will see how it does on deer, but will be pickier with shot selection and distance than I would be with my 7 mm Rem mag on anything bigger. Sounds like it worked well for you, would not have thought a through the shoulder shot would be ideal for a 243 on an elk.

On the other hand, I shoot my 7mm as well or better than the 243 and I'd consider it a near ideal elk or moose caliber compared to adequate or legal minimum for the 243. Shooting the biggest caliber you can shoot well is reasonable, and for me that's the 7mm. As I said, bought the Tikka Compact for my daughter, but it's so handy to carry and lightweight I'll carry it myself when conditions are right.

Will start with it on deer and work my way up to bigger game depending on how it works in my hands. I believe confidence is a huge component of killing power; both that you can place the bullet well and that it will drop the animal cleanly. Again, I don't have that confidence in the 243 for elk or moose, at least not yet.