View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 02:10 PM

I've encountered powder that didn't want to come out of a round I was taking apart, but, it is easy to see, and I seldom tumble cases, so a lot of mine are dark inside, still, if there was powder left in there, he didn't look very hard at all, it is still quite plainly obvious. Call what happened in the shooter's case being too lazy or in too big a hurry to properly check what he was doing. People are people, they get in a hurry and skip steps or do them half assed. There are people all over the place that do stuff like load over max book values and get away with it, and most of the "common" methods of gauging pressure aren't worth the powder to blow themselves to hell in reality, untill a failure or sticky bolts happen. Old Speer manuals are a perfect example, not done with CUP pressure tests, done with measuring case expansion, and then when properly checked, was as much as 10K over SAAMI spec maxes on the high variable end of them. Ed Matunas did an article years back talking about it, he was the the one who did it originally, his name is in the books as the test ballistician. And now, people keep harping about "lawyered" manuals, if they actually read how the SAAMI tests are conducted and the results obtained by various testers, they'd likely be a little quieter about it. Ken Oehler has written a few notes about what they've found, and they've done many, many thousands of pressure/speed tests at Oehler. And any website or manual can have mistakes in them, there are or have been articles, warnings etc published on them. Some forums have stickies keeping track of them and powder recalls. Some powders got taken off the market because of batch inconsistencies that could not be cured in production, still some of it out there, and people trying to use them.