View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Same for the majority of our crew,,, some of them will remain in the super-size category as long as they can,,, some of us have stepped it back. Purhaps we are the only ones that will know this when the time comes,,, at least we have options like the 243's, 25/06, 6.5's, 7 or 308's that have next to nill for recoil.

That's not saying that a person can't load down with the big bores or keep them hot with recoil add-ons to tame things down if a persons chooses.

A world of endless options you know.
Very true Don, there are a lot of options to tame actual recoil and “felt recoil”. Recoil pads (obviously), heavier stocks, and how your stock is built, a stock that goes straight back and doesn’t drop down like a traditional stock can lessen the felt recoil, so thumb hole and pistol grip (like an ar15) style stocks provide less leverage to the rifle and therefore reduce the felt recoil.

I get what Stinky Coyote is saying about the efficiency of smaller cartridges (in his comparison he uses the 6.5 CM/300 WM and the 6.5 Grendel/308 Win.) but the 300 WM was never designed to be an efficient cartridge, it’s an old school high horsepower kind of cartridge and the the 308 Win. is a more efficient 30/06 and I’d say is king in that regard for the 30 cals. There are so many other variables that come into play that can change the numbers. I personally would choose the 270 Win. over any 6.5 because the ballistics are so comparable and ammo and reloading components are much easier to find and purchase and I can negate any recoil disadvantages with rifle set up