View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

i accompanied a friend on his non-trophy sheep hunt this year and he shot the lead ewe at 530 yrds with his custom 300 win mag and 180 accubonds at 3013 fps and performance was good, the sheep were wandering away on the next finger, entrance rear ham (missed bone) up through side of torso and exited front shoulder breaking all the bone there....

not saying they are the shizzo....just saying what i witnessed first hand

maybe velocity at impact is a factor?

but like the other guy said....if you don't trust it then change....

hard to believe 225 grains of anything can be bad?

i was very happy with what a 95 gr ballistic tip did on my wifes whitetail buck at 188 yrds, drt and damage cone about the size of a football including an exit and broken spine (she hit a little high but below the spine....got lungs and spine), the spine had shifted almost the full diameter of it off, i thought it was pretty amazing for a little .243......but then again, i'm of the explosive bullet camp and not the slow penetrating type, i personally like results from more explosive rounds....

my moose broadside at 200 yrds with a 130 grain (bonded) fusion out of a .270 was a full pass through (hitting rib) with same size exit as entrance....i would think an accubond would be similar? as with any of the other bonded bullets?

good luck with choice,

note: i've shot a few coyotes with the .270 fusions now and i'm surprised at finishers i have to put into the ones i don't hit perfect.....never get that with more explosive bullets....they don't get up after the initial shock and start hobbling off with just a small hole poked in them....i know there is a balance for expansion and penetration needed to work best but i lean more to the blow up knocking em down quicker than the solid type.....i find i get more runners with tougher bullets....maybe that is what your actually finding with the accubonds?