View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Baby Brother has had a Grizz 660 and currently a 700.

I have 2 Grizz 660's, one for me one for the son.

Yamaha is easy enough to work on, and whether Carb or EFI are pretty reliable.

One issue to look at on the early 700's is there was an issue on a Stator overheat due to using engine oil as the coolant.

Simple enough, on the 660's disconnect the battery when it is running and check the voltage. Should be in the 12 - 14 volt range. If not, Stator damage. Not a tough change out and aftermarket Stators have higher output anyway.

On the 700's you cannot disconnect the battery as the EFI always need voltage, but you will be able to check against the voltage output on the battery leads.

Stators are pretty dependable, but remember on the 700's there is no rope start like the 660. If there is a battery drain, you are done. You should carry a lithium booster pack for good measure.

660's can be bored out for a rebuild on the piston. On the 700's the cylinder sleeve is Nitrile steel. Very hard to do an overbore and you are buying a new cylinder if it ever needs a rebuild.

Both machines have their plus and minus, but I do like the Yamaha products.

Drewski
Bang on regarding the stator issue. My 2007 Grizz had this issue. Would overheat and lock out me starting it. Replaced . Other than that and one rear axle that is all it has done. I don't put a lot of k on but a great machine .