View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Bushleague;3440675]I inherited an old No1 a while back and I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. Its a pretty crude sporter with no collector value at all, So far I've left it as is and used it as a rough duty "just in case" camp rifle and its a pretty good fit for this job, but part of me wants to make it into something that I will actually put to good use in the hunting season.

I'd sort of like to cut down the barrel and drill and tap it for a Williams sight or scope mount, but then again, it shoots pretty good the way it is and I don't know that its worth putting any money into... opinions?[/QUOTE

If you reload get some .312 hornady bullets and do up some loads. If you don't reload I find the silver PowerPoint box Winchester seems to be the most accurate 303 shells. I did a test between Remington and Winchester and Winchester won at 100m by 4" in a five shot group. Best PowerPoint group was 2". Don't cut the barrel. I have ran a ball bearing in a 1/2 drill and 'recrowned' the end of the barrel with success. I did this due to not having anything to loose on a sporter that is worth 150 bucks. You mentioned Wiliams sights, by the time you got that on the gun you have doubled what the gun is worth. I like to bed the back bearing surface of the forstock to the socket to 'sturdy things up also I tend to drop in a waxed piece of paper between the barrel band and the barrel to take up some slack...... All what I mentioned with the exception of the ammo was basically free. The reason I mentioned all that is why having a gun that isn't worth anything fun to have around. No I would sink money into it but I would screw around with it until it's your main hunting gun cause they will shoot eventually. That's what I did with mine now I got a whole bunch of beaters to fiddle with when its -30.