View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 PM

Default getting philosophical

A few comments to the OP. I get that you still hold the principle of fair chase in high esteem. Before we go and trash the "young" guy with all the gizmos here are a few considerations. Those who hunted in previous generations were happy to use the latest an greatest. In another time you could call pretty much anything we use an advantage, optics, faster cartridges, repeaters, binoculars etc.... the list is endless. The methodologies are different now. We used to do all kinds of things we would scorn now. I've grown weary of complaints and laments about how we hunt or what we use. Perhaps the hunters of today don't hunt in the construct you have built up in your mind about the past. Perhaps we have forgotten that guys in the past used to trespass, drink and hunt, road hunt, stage drives by fire, drive game with dogs or horses, poison/eradicate species only to introduce prettier/more desirable ones.

Maybe you are saying that the hunt should be about a better connection with nature and not technology. Fine. but that has to balance with all the other forces out there. Bowhunting was out of fashion until some guys started to self constrain and chose the more challenging path. The same is true of many things.
Selective sentimentalism is a veiled judgement that is equally as dangerous as an over-reliance on tech. Old ways are not always better. To find a mature bull elk in his hidey hole and better him is still a crucible. The blood on your hands if you do so well is no less real. Should you choose to walk the trail in old pack boots and wool or with the mountaineering class gear and a GPS - what does it matter? To cling to the past you have to also take the bad.

If worth is only measured by a depth of hardship or effort then we would all be out there is our jeans with rocks and sticks. If a hunter requires of himself sub MOA accuracy to kill an animal I am heartened by his dedication as it shows profound respect for the animals he hunts and his role as a hunter. If he requires it of someone else before he respects them, I am saddened for him and the future of what he hold dear. He has lost something.