View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby76 View Post
How about everyone take a step back and not get defensive for a minute. Think about others reading this thread who may not be very experienced and are here to learn. What have they learned in this thread that is going to keep them and people around them safe? What are you going to teach to a new shooter, to your kids? It's obvious that some here have been taught some not so safe practices. In all fairness, they may not even realize so.

I WILL NOT teach my kids or any new shooter that it is OK to carry one in the tube. Maybe they, after years of experience, may choose a situation where THEY feel comfortable and confident to do so. I would just hope that they practiced safety first, as I taught them.

I hope eveyone can at least agree, all situations aside, that to be 100% safe, you have be 100% sure that your gun is unloaded.
As one of the new hunters/shooters in question I have really enjoyed this thread and all the back-and-forth.

What I have taken from all this is that like with every other activity I have done there are folks who have a different levels of aversion to risk. One needs a certain amount of experience to understand the risks, but piling on years of experience does not equal safer. I think this is true for hunting as it is for the carpenters that remove saw guards that a DIYer would keep on or the skiier pushing their limits in avalanche forecasting. We all walk our path and as long as everyone in the hunting party is OK with it - great!

For myself as a newb... though I am extremely comfortable not tripping in the backcountry and not nervous around my firearm, I will continue to walk with it unloaded because at this point I realize that I do not even know what I don't know and I generally am pretty risk adverse though I enjoy outdoor activities/sports that have potential for injury.

Matt