Thread: Braided Line
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I also use higher end rods and specifically look for Fuji (or fuji style hardened guides). I never hook my hooks or snaps onto a guide for the same reason you mentioned - that definitely can be a problem (I learned that the hard way).

My abrasion experience was with Spiderwire specifically not the Fire line. The spider wire was not only noisy through the guides but had it cut into a HMX rod causing grooves over the course of one summer and by the end of the second year it was clear there was significant abrasion on the first and 4th guide (on that rod the places where the line seemed to be in constant contact while retrieving. If I was to run a q-tip inside the guide it would definitely have been quite noticeable.

The Fireline(s) I've had were the ones that were flaky and hairy (one of them literally with a few trips) and the other spool was visibly inconsistent in diameter. It also broke off to what I thought was "way too easy" pulling up on a weed and then when I spooled some more out I grabed a section and it, too, broke pretty easily. I don't think I could do that with any other braid without cutting my fingers up ...... so I was turned right off of Fireline for good. Admittedly, that was like 5 years ago - haven't bought it since - so maybe it's not so bad anymore.
HMX is not exactly a high end rod