Thread: Braided Line
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have been using Fireline for years and although I probably had breakoffs I don't recall them. This was using Fireline from 8-20lb. I do use rods that are in the 150-250 range so line guides are far superior to those on rods under the 100 mark. Although almost all rods use some type of ceramic guide, higher end rods have much harder inserts which virtually eliminates the line grooving the insert. Like I mentioned before by reversing the line I am getting over 5 years of fishing with my Fireline if you are getting less, upgrading your rods might help.

Some anglers when done fishing hook their lure in the line guide, this can put small chips in your guide inserts (especially with barbed hooks) which can lead to grooves in the guide. If your rod is equipped with lure keepers always use them or hook to the leg of the eye never through the eye itself.

Fishing the three walleye trails for over 25 years and working in the fishing industry for about 15 I have spent thousands of hours on the water using every line that came out so my observations and comments from other anglers are based more on first hand experience than opinion. I do not doubt your experiences with Fireline but mine have been very positive.

Power Pro is a very good line as well, I have had zero problems with it either.
I also use higher end rods and specifically look for Fuji (or fuji style hardened guides). I never hook my hooks or snaps onto a guide for the same reason you mentioned - that definitely can be a problem (I learned that the hard way).

My abrasion experience was with Spiderwire specifically not the Fire line. The spider wire was not only noisy through the guides but had it cut into a HMX rod causing grooves over the course of one summer and by the end of the second year it was clear there was significant abrasion on the first and 4th guide (on that rod the places where the line seemed to be in constant contact while retrieving. If I was to run a q-tip inside the guide it would definitely have been quite noticeable.

The Fireline(s) I've had were the ones that were flaky and hairy (one of them literally with a few trips) and the other spool was visibly inconsistent in diameter. It also broke off to what I thought was "way too easy" pulling up on a weed and then when I spooled some more out I grabed a section and it, too, broke pretty easily. I don't think I could do that with any other braid without cutting my fingers up ...... so I was turned right off of Fireline for good. Admittedly, that was like 5 years ago - haven't bought it since - so maybe it's not so bad anymore.