Thread: Braided Line
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Power Pro is my go-to line.

Super Slick for casting or jigging, Hi-Vis for trolling and all of my set ups are tipped with a fluorocarbon leader. Suffix 832 on a few of my set ups and it seems very good so far as well.

Spiderwire and Fireline is to fishing line what "Danielson Brand" is to terminal tackle. A cheap, under performing product that ends up costing you more in the long run.

The quality, consistency in thickness, and durability in these 2 brands I have found it to be poor compared to Power Pro.

And to tell you why (instead of just spouting a senseless opinion) .....

Spiderwire has cut my guides up, scored a lip on a spool. It also seems to slip knots much easier.

Fireline seems to quickly flake/fray off quickly. It also seems to be very inconsistent and have found thin sections which seem to be surprisingly weak.

Both brands are disappointments to me.

These lines are probably OK for the causal fisherman who doesn't put in the casts or time on the water but I have noticed a remarkable and obvious difference - but I have quite a few set ups and spend significantly more time on the water compared to the average guy maybe.

I haven't been back to try it in a few years but I gave it a couple tries before and am not compelled to try it again - maybe it's better now?

I don't want to be harsh - but want to give other people my sincere opinion on this so they can get the best picture from the widest set of opinions and make a decision they are happy with.
I have been using Fireline for years and although I probably had breakoffs I don't recall them. This was using Fireline from 8-20lb. I do use rods that are in the 150-250 range so line guides are far superior to those on rods under the 100 mark. Although almost all rods use some type of ceramic guide, higher end rods have much harder inserts which virtually eliminates the line grooving the insert. Like I mentioned before by reversing the line I am getting over 5 years of fishing with my Fireline if you are getting less, upgrading your rods might help.

Some anglers when done fishing hook their lure in the line guide, this can put small chips in your guide inserts (especially with barbed hooks) which can lead to grooves in the guide. If your rod is equipped with lure keepers always use them or hook to the leg of the eye never through the eye itself.

Fishing the three walleye trails for over 25 years and working in the fishing industry for about 15 I have spent thousands of hours on the water using every line that came out so my observations and comments from other anglers are based more on first hand experience than opinion. I do not doubt your experiences with Fireline but mine have been very positive.

Power Pro is a very good line as well, I have had zero problems with it either.