Thread: Butchering
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Without question, butcher it yourself.

You can't go wrong. The worst case is that the cuts are not what they could be, but the meat will still be good. With practice you will learn from your "mistakes".

If needed, take in your "burger" cuts for grinding. Other than that, all can be done in your kitchen with just a knife and a countertop....

Cut out the fat on ungulates, and the glands on all animals.

DON'T worry about the Silverskin.

This DOES NOT !!!! effect the taste.

Silverskin in composed of collagen, which is a major component of ALL muscle tissue. It is basically flavourless. If Sliverskin tasted bad, then meat would taste bad.

The only reason to remove Silverskin is for the purpose of having a piece of meat that is easier to cut on the plate. In dishes such as burger and stews, the silverskin is a Critical component to achieving the desired texture most of us like.

Pay yourself the $50 bucks an hour plus that a butcher will charge.
You will be glad you did.
100%^^^
Without silver skin and tendon, stew meat wouldn't be nearly as good. I grind without it for the most part but stewing meat for slow cooked meals is the best with all that fat, gristle, silver skin and tendon in there. When slow cooked (or pressure cooked) it melts down and contributes greatly to the flavour. Don't be afraid of stew meat: it can be used for many slow cooked dishes and is sometimes even better then prime steak cuts. It's also good to learn what all the steak cuts are so you can separate the most tender steaks and roasts from the not so tender to ensure best cooking methods are used.

There is a lot of bad information online from inexperienced, do it at home butchers that you will need to filter through (not saying anything specific about this thread- some great info here). There's definitely no right or wrong way as long as you're not wasting anything. However there is a way to get the optimal end product. P.m. me if you are around Edmonton area when you tag out. If life's not too crazy I'll give you a hand.