View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I'm still at zero. pulled my snares today and moving to a new property.
Give it time, Andy, you've only had them out there for a bit.....you'll start catching them soon enough. Get some bait out there and give them a reason to come into the area and they will. Get the birds in there and that will attract them. Look for points in their trails that funnel into a narrow area and set your snare there. I haven't been using any lure but I'm going to pick up some skunk essence like Nube suggested and give it a shot at one bait site to start with. Once you catch your first it'll give you an idea of what type of location to look for in a trail. I put out about 10 snares at a bait site but I'll add to them if I see that they are avoiding the snares and using a different trail.

Check the weather forecast, we're supposed to get a dump of snow in the next day or two followed by colder temperatures. I'm going to put a bunch more snares out before the snow comes so it'll cover my boot tracks and any disturbance that I make. Unless I have to raise the snares due to the depth of the snow, I'm going to check them from a distance and see how that works out. From what I've been told they travel a lot more the colder the weather.

Keep going, I'd like to see a picture of your first catch.