View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:28 PM

Default Things I have learned about snaring coyotes

use a lot of bait. I try and get a truckload at a time in one bait staion. It's the birds that attract more coyotes than smell.

They don't like a lot of foot prints around.

Last year I caught 78 coyotes and most of them were off 3 baits.
This year I am running 4 baits and 3 of them the same spots as last year. I am already at 40+ coyotes after about 6-7 checks but..... 85% of them are all young pups. I am catching more in these spots than last year which surprises me but they must have had huge litters and no adults around to kill the pups or something. Hopefully these small ones are worth a few $$ at least.

I used to use skunk essence for a lure to attract coyotes and this year I haven't but the other day I caught a skunk and I had 6 coyotes strung up when I got there if I remember right. That tells me that skunk smell is still the king for attractant. I think a few drops on the trees around a bait will help a guy out a lot especially in cold weather or when using bait that does not smell much or have much bird activity.

Anyone else have anything to add? It might help out a few of the new guys getting into coyote snaring