View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I guess my one problem, with the lack of paperwork, ie; a proper receipt that says who purchased, what specific item. How would you go about proving that you owned, what to say you own, and that it really had that price on it, to the insurance company, in the event of loss of that gun in a fire or theft? And, how much money is an insurance co. likely to give you, for a 3 yr old rifle or whatever, that you can't prove you owned. Many receipts from these places, do not state what you bought, just how much you paid for "something".
Pics of possessions help with a theft, if they are stored elsewhere, receivers can likely be found with s/n's on them in a fire, but don't necessarily help with the value. And insurance co.'s don't want to pay a cent more than they have to, or can get away with denying payment on.
A pile of receipts is a big plus in that situation, not having them can create a real chore in proving what you owned and what it was worth.
I agree that I am not interested in having the gov't know what I bought, but, I'd still like a proper receipt with the details of the sale on it. Which is something a lot of stores do not give you nowadays. Besides, if you send in a warranty registration card for a new gun, to the gun co., you just sent the gov't the info, by way of a place they can access it easily anyways.
Are you really willing to lose 1000.00 , or 3000.00 or more, because you can't prove you owned it, or that it was worth that much?
On one hand you have the gov't having access to info on what you own, on the other is possibly the same amount of loss as a confiscation.
How do you balance it?
You do it the same way, you did prior to all the BS!

Record, and validate with photos.

Proof that you are not the owner is a far larger thing to prove, than ownwership.

Receipts are lost all the time.

The issue here is, that it is specifically mentioned in the legislation that ended the LGR, that it is illegal to posses any records, linking owners to firearms.

There are no absolutes