Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=gunmum;1295603]
Quote:
So this of course is a topic long debated on. You continue to regurgitate your facts from positiveathiesm.org and try to prove the Bible is wrong using every imaginable fact possible and I will give you bible quotes, and it will go on and on and on because we have different worldviews.
So, why didn't you answer my question? Which 10 Commandments? It's a legitimate question.

Quote:
But I think the deeper issue here is this: Who has ultimate authority? I will forever say that it's God and you will forever try to disprove me.
Nope, but I will point out the hiccups that devoting one's self to an ancient manuscript can lead to. I recognize your faith is what it is right now (you yourself indicated how many times it has changed inn the past), and I have no desire for you to change your faith.

Just don't tell us that is is inerrant. You believe it is, but only your faith drives that, not something others can touch and feel and see and dissect and confirm. You know, like dinosaur fossils.

Quote:
Were we created or did we evolve? Because if we evolved, then there is no God, and therefore no absolute authority. And while that might not effect*our*generation, it will certainly impact our children and subsequent generations.
Many people of faith can reconcile evolution, which science has been pretty definitive about. Sure there are still some gaps, but every year, those gaps get smaller.

You do believe in science don't you? I mean, the physics that allows you to use your computer, the medical help you got you referred to, the medicines that were developed, and of course I can go on and on.

Science developed those, not faith. Using the same scientific process that shows us through geology, biology, astronomy and other specialities that show us how evolution has worked.

Quote:
The boundaries of right and wrong are changing all the time. You can already see it happening. And the more and more people that are pushing for secularism, the more the moral compass shifts. And where's the line? Who's discerning right from wrong these days? Society at large? Government officials? Well, we know how that turns out don't we?
I posted Penn Jillette's 10 Suggestions in another post http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showp...7&postcount=51. They are a pretty good guide for harmonious living.

Quote:
Don't pretend that by being athiest that you are on neutral ground. You either believe in the Creator, or you deny him. And that's your GOD GIVEN RIGHT*
Perhaps what you call the Creator is in fact not an anthropomorphic entity at all(you know, old guy, long beard, white, sitting on a throne some where near Sirius) but a a force that drives the nature we hunt, fish and trap in, a force that started the evolutionary chain so many billions of years ago, a force whose secrets science is just now discovering, and revelling in the fact that the rules laid out don't change (molecules are comprised of atoms, which have various parts like electrons and nuclei, every single time you raise the temperature of a subject above burning point, it burns, and it never will get colder then absolute zero).

Those rules are immutable and inerrant. And if they ever appear to conflict, there are a whole bunch of scientists out there finding out why, and attempting to discover what the harmonizing factor is. They don't try and explain it away by some esoteric discussion, which in the end, doesn't explain anything. You know, like all that mystical stuff in the bible.

Perhaps a spiritual understanding of the laws of nature will bring us closer to that force? You know, out in the big chapel in the bush

Quote:
This has been fun for me. I appreciate your comments even though some people like to resort to name calling or whatever.
No name calling necessary. As I said earlier, neither one will change the others perspective, but it is good to try and understand why there is a difference of perspective.

Your faith relies on faith, and, mine, well, science keeps proving it.