View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Then I had the wife reupholster my seats in 1000d cordura. Even when disgusting like this I could roll into the car wash. Hit them with the wash gun, dry them off and sit on them without getting wet.

I took the 2.5hp motor off my winch and put the 7.8 hp motor off the 15k winch onto my 8274 and that sucker could pull. I don’t know how much but it would snap 3/8 Amsteel rope without stalling. It also pulled 130’ a min. I used two batteries up front and an upgraded alternator off the Cherokee. It fed a contactor under the hood and I used a cordless remote or momentary rocker switch on the dash to control both winches. I had a three position switch to turn both winches off or arm the front and back and subsequently activate the rocker switch or remote.

I decided I needed some flat fenders so I built some.

I ran the jackall inside bolted to the roll cage under the hard tip over the rear window. I had a few other odds and ends but regardless I wheeled the heck out of that Jeep and took it wherever I wanted to go. The only issues it ever had where my own fault like a broken fuel line after the gas tank tuck or U joints from abusing the rear drive shaft at a 24 degree angle with the tummy tuck.

I put a high pinion 30 in the front and had the factory Dana 44 (yea I know girls axles) they were regeared to 4.88 and locked on both ends. I ran Q78 swampers in the summer and some 315/70/17 duratracs in the winter. I carried a set of tire chains on occasion as well but rarely used them.

It started as a replacement to my Suzuki sidekick that I used for a hunting wagon but turned into a hobby and eventually got to the point I could take it more places then most vehicles will ever go.

For those who have been into tay lake from the Alford lake side I could make it in there without winching and never avoiding any mud hole. This doesn’t look like much but I drove up this on the way into the lake without winching or scraping my belly.

I lost the rear spare tire early in because I hit it twice. Once climbing a hill and once dropping off a ledge. So it never went back on. I had onboard air and enough plugs to fix a flat. I also had wire to sew a torn sidewall and a couple of tubes in case I couldn’t fix a tire. Regardless the bias tires were so tough I never even had a flat.

The rear winch worked great for running bear baits. Coming out backwards or anchoring myself while I winched other guys out.

Then three kids came along and I broke down and bought the family model for our off-road pursuits. The old tj got parted out and I watched it leave my garage in pieces over the course of a week. The new one sucks in off-road capability compared to the short wheel base but it’s better on fuel and so much easier with the kids.

You can fit a pair of kids in car seats, a calf sled and a moose in one too.

I packed that Jeep into my sea can when I left Canada but if I ever move back I’ll throw a gm V8 under the hood. A Ford high pinion 60 and 10.5 sterling under her, locked obviously on some 42x11 swampers.

Anyway, you want an off-road weapon you’ll need to build one. Mine didn’t get stuck unless I tried and I had a lot of fun in it.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 11-07-2020 at 02:06 PM.