View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Sporty

Default Re: Hunters that claim to be so called "metis"...

Hey Tuc!

Been very busy lately as I'm co-venturing a small business with a friend, don't have time to spend in front of the PC or other recreation as much as I'd like to.

I don't disagree that there have been abuses to this agreement, IMO this agreement in itself was an abuse and should never have been allowed to begin with, that being said I'm not so quick to believe the first thing I hear because of it. There has been many accusations that have been unfounded and I've spoken to many life long Metis that disagreed with the IMHA right from the start. I've also spoken to many people that had no idea what Metis was prior to this agreement that were suddenly interested in getting thier cards so it comes down to a person's intergrity and character regardless of race.

My hopes with the new agreement is that those that are truly in need of subsistance provide proof and they are issued a tag to hunt during regular hunting seasons, maybe 2 depending on who they are hunting for and sharing with (large family or elders). I think it will be impossible to regulate anything else such as hunting around Metis settlements. Settlements are a touchy issue as not all Metis can move into or hunt on a Metis settlement, most settlements are strict on who can live there and are largely occupied by long time families that keep it in the family so to speak. That being said we all know the Gov't and political powers don't like to do things the easy way so they'll be coming up with some long winded agreement which will be hard to regulate and that will be open to interpretation.