View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
I got to see the beautiful, the good, the bad, and the ugly side of gun sales. ......... I found that the greatest pain was the ability to hang onto the staff that knew about guns and were out shooting regularly. Most of the staff were high school jocks that couldn't read let alone write something legible.
I think there is a good, bad and ugly in many places other than gun sales. I think there is good, bad and ugly on both side of those gun counters. I think it is sort of like the chicken and egg thing. Which comes first? The ugly customer or the ugly sales person. I think some customers will make some sales staff ugly and vice versa.

Good staff? Always a problem. Retail does not pay enough to attract the best.
The only ones satisfied with the wages seem to be those who already have an income and want to supplement. Retired people and those on comp.

I would say that a young and healthy person who works for retail pay, is just not a motivated person and in many cases his mom does not even charge them rent. Most of those jocks don't know anything and those who know a little think they know it all. No one, knows it all and is able to answer every question, and customers should understand that. There is very little training given to retail sports staff other than from the industry reps. The sales staff do not get paid enough to buy and get their own product knowledge.

Some of the older sales staff actually have a wealth of practical knowledge
but after dealing with enough snotty customers they come across as just plain grouchy.

I think that the problem with most retail stores is crappy management. Some that could be managers if left alone get dumped on my upper management that are just puppets for the bean counters.

A really good store can turn into the perfect storm of incompetence with just one change in upper management or ownership. I think that is what happened to WSS.