View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I wish more people would challenge these notions along these lines. This is really the crux of the problem isn't it? We are giving into fears. Not that we should be complacent about gun violence, but the issue is way overblown, appealing only to emotion. I think some very incisive and unbiased questions along statistical lines at one of those Trudeau townhalls would go a long way to opening up better debate about this issue. Do you ever hear anyone concerned about gun violence retort with a question about how money is being spent in police departments to tackle gang violence and how that is measured and the status of the progress? Does anyone concerned about gun violence ever talk about the suicide rate with guns and how money is being spent to address mental health issues? Take the guns away and neither of those problems go away, they just find different outlets.
I agree whole heartedly Erik. Bickering or screaming about Libs taking away my grandpas cooey doesnt work. Like any good debate you need to be able to present relevent facts at the heart of the issue.

The interesting thing about that stat sheet Erik, It of course doesnt break down of those deaths how many were Gang on Gang violence / random acts of terror / domestic homecides etc. Also of those deaths how many were attributed to leaglly purchased firearms vs those bought on the black market by hoodlums.

I bet if those numbers were broken down further to those catigories, you would find that the number of deaths with legal firearms to random unknown individuals is a small fraction of those deaths. The reality is most situations are where 2 people know each other. Are either mixed up in gang type activity ( likely to be an illegally purchased firearm) , or have had some kind of domestic dispute, which is difficult or impossible to stop.