View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 10:39 AM

Here is the roughed in body shape done with the course section of my rasp. I will clean up the edges and blend the curves with the fine side of the rasp , then clean up the eye sockets because they always need adjusting after shaping. Then the sanding begins sanding

A common thing I have been asked in the past is why I don’t carve my lures the same shape as an existing fish?

I could easily make crankbaits shaped exactly like fish by make molds of a frozen fish and add hardware. The reason I don’t is I would not allow me achieve the actions I am looking for. Paying attention to how the body shape cuts through the water or catches the force of the water effects how it moves is much more important. The fact is fast moving baits action, depth, vibrations, flash, water displacement is way more important then life like profile.

When it comes to fast moving baits rough shape is all that matters fat, skinny, long and short is all that matters.

There is a reason for the shapes I carve. This part of my lure building is tough to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk