View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ft lbs is a bit of an argument starter.

How many Ft lbs of energy does an arrow impart, upon a target?
If a bullet exits the chest cavity, did it impart the full amount of kinetic energy it possessed when it hit its target.

I've seen elk killed with 100 grain cup core bullets out of an 18-1/2" bbl'd .243Win.

I've witnessed elk soaking up 180 grain Partition bullets from a .300 Win Mag, it took a saintly gent with an old fashioned .270Win with 130 grain cup cores to finally anchor that bull.(shots in legs and guts no matter how skookum the load don't down game)

The hunters ability to become proficient with their rifle of choice, has to be weighed and balanced. Rifles like a 300 Win Mag often induce flinches and bad habits in many hunters. Get larger and more powerful chamberings, and it becomes harder and harder to perfect your shooting form.

There isn't an elk that walks this earth that is bullet proof. A well placed .27 or .28 caliber bullet of stout enough design of at least 140 grains, starting out of the muzzle at at least 2800 fps will kill elk out to most ranges any average hunter will ever reasonably hunt.

You crunch those numbers because well, they are just that numbers.
Its definitely not my intention to start any arguments, I'm an open to all sides kind of guy. I agree whole heartedly that shot placement trumps all. At the same time I do not want to be under gunned. I feel like my 270 is at that fine line. Maybe I'm wrong, but it shoots nice and tight and I'm confident in it and myself. A larger caliber is something I want anyway so I thought this would be the time to gather some info and get the right one for the job.