View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Smile 6.5x55

Over 30 years ago I purchased all the Swedish military 6.5x55 models that were available from SIR mail order. A 96, 38,and M42B Ljungman with bayonets, cleaning equipment, and bullet pouches for just under $200.00 for all three with accessories. I had never heard of the cartridge before but was quick to learn how versatile it was. At the time the only factory ammunition available was Norma 156 gr. soft point and it was pricey. Invested in a set of dies and went to work reloading the empty factory brass that I had accumulated and started using the 96 for silhouette shooting. My fellow members at the club saw the results of a $59.00 rifle and were quickly ordering and customizing for their own use. The 6.5x55 soon became one of the most popular cartridges on silhouette night. Since then I’ve gotten rid of the military rifles but always been a fan. I now have four 6.5x55’s in modern actions my favourite being a Swedish built Lakelander heavy barrel that is amazingly accurate. There isn’t enough good I can say about this cartridge and with the great variety of hunting bullets available to the reloader, there isn’t any game on this continent that can’t be taken using the 6.5x55.