View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM

After 3+ months in SoCal, I returned home to get my Stem Cell Therapy/Procedure done yesterday (April 17th) with Dr. L. Playfair at the CAPRI, Lacombe, the actual procedure was completed within 1 hour and went very well, perhaps better than expected.

I’m required to rest and try to stay off my feet/lay down for 3 days so I’m here on the couch watching some TV & surfing the laptop so I decided to update my progress/thread.

Arrived early for my appointment, met Loren the Kinesiologist, we discussed how to optimize the outcome of my treatment, he answered a number of my general questions and provided a handout for my exercise/stretching rehab program.

Then it was my turn for the procedure, the Doc answered a few more of my Q’s I was wondering what the longevity of the Stem Cell would be and how would I know if the treatment was successful. Was told they will be following up with me on my progress (3-6-12 months) but NOT to expect a noticeable difference until 4-8 weeks, and maximum relief would be in 5-6 months, he said some patients have had 2 and up to 3 years of relief before having another treatment.

I was prep’d, first with local freezing of my left pelvis area where they would be extracting the bone marrow/stem cells. The Doc then inserted a hollow needle through my pelvis bone and into the bone marrow, he hit the device with something (I imagined similar to a small hammer) about 3-4 times and using a syringe attached to the needle, he withdrew the bone marrow. It didn’t really hurt and was done in only a few minutes. He said he had a good sample, no dry well, relief!

The nurse put the sample material into a centrifuge to separate the platelet rich plasma (PRP) and my stem cells from the white blood cells and other contents. The next step was injecting my Stem Cell/PRP into my spine area, I asked the doc how much they put into the 4 locations (L4/5 & L5/S1) I believe he said about 10 cc/ml ?? I asked how many of my stem cells would be in there, I recall him saying perhaps up to 2 million cells. He said your age may affect the quality and amount, I’m hoping their all good. I couldn’t really feel the first 3 injections, however, the 4th took my breath away, & was told to keep breathing it was almost over.

They put some temp gauze and a Band-Aid on and gave me an RX for Tramadol as they don’t want you taking any anti-inflammatory for a minimum 4-week period, like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aleve or products like Voltaren, Turmeric and/or ice which all could inhibit the healing & regeneration process.

The Mrs was waiting for me in the waiting room, paid my bill ($2,300.00) which isn’t covered under Ab Health Care, and off we went. You need a ride home, not recommended that you drive.

Was told to expect some post-injection soreness, took one Tramadol before I went to bed at 11:00ish, slept till 5:30am looked at the clock & fell asleep again until 7:30. Feeling pretty good, no need to take another pill, yet.

The next 3 days will be R/R off my feet, the Doc said this will allow the Stem Cells to attach themselves to the damaged tissue/area and start the healing process. Thereafter, I’m told I can continue with normal activity but no heavy lifting, heavy exercise or impact sports for the first month, normal exercise only, mainly walks, swimming, bike riding as tolerated and after 2 weeks I can try Golf, but don’t over do it.

In conclusion, I’ve had two cortisone/steroids injections that were only effective for < 3 months. This treatment doesn’t work for everyone, however, I’m hopeful using my own stem cells will be more successful and I enjoy a pain free day with a good night’s sleep, if I achieve that, it’s worth every penny.

Pic of the area, just above my belt line. Now I have to get my CCRA Tax's in order, they want their money, I imagine that will be more painful than the stem cell treatment.

Cheers .... David