View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmpy View Post
Thanks for the reply, I heard they are way better for shift points and it always feels like the right gear. I heard the honda in automatic is sometimes looking for gears on inclines and what not, sometimes have to switch to manual. But the thought of a belt worries me. I haven't looked into them much but are they sealed away from the elements and deep mud? And how big of a job are they to change? Somethjng that could be done on the trail?
I ride a Polaris Sportsman 700 and I ride hard. Have over 6400 kms on the belt with nary an issue. Belt is sealed from the elements. Changing it out I could do on the trail if need be. When I bought the machine I purchased a spare belt to carry just in case. Afraid the belt may rot away in the front box on the quad before I ever need it.

Seriously though, I will probably take my clutches off this winter and have them serviced and put the new belt on just for routine maintenance.

If you plan on using the quad to plow snow, the CVT really shines there as well. Honda has the stupid push button, pull lever contraption set up. CVT is an easy lever to switch between low and reverse.

Understand your hesitation with the CVT style transmission as I was in the same boat too coming from the old style but now that I have had one, I will never buy a quad without it again.

Last edited by JohninAB; 09-19-2017 at 12:59 PM.