View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 AM

Default Spring Bear 2016 and Best Memories

-How many are Spring bear hunting this spring..?
-If baiting when are you starting?
- Best past memories?

Been bowhunting Bear for around 40 years as well as guiding for bear for 30 years, have been lucky and fourtunate enough to harvest 30 plus bears in Alberta all with bow...have never taken one with a firearm...many were on foot and before Baiting was legal, baiting Black bear became legal in 1987 and changed things dramatically...

Some were harvested not so much on the lucky side, took one on the charge just feet away coming at me [may have been more curiousity than aggression], took them in trees, me in trees, a handful problem bears...and quite a few on foot stalking...the other half would be baiting the "easy" way to bow hunt bear [not as easy as it sounds!]

But saw a lot of antics, took some very nice bears, had bears come up into stand and smell boot, seen every color black bear imaginable, shot one high in a tree it seemed like the second I released the arrow it was at my feet stone cold, seen them do circus acts and every silly thing imaginable also...

My fondest memory was probably my first book bear..a 500 lb plus that turned my legs into rubber...

I havent purposly hunted black bears for a few years but I sure enjoy hearing, reading sstorys and seeing pictures of other bowhunters I am also betting there a a few good storys out there..

Neil