Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Awesome success rate. I'm sure you have more tricks and tips you can share. What type of terrain do you hunt? In my area there's no sitting up and glassing. it's all thick timber and blow downs with trails( quad and game) for moving around. Usually 100-200 yds down cut lines or quad trails is max visibility. Calling/ tracking is really the only possible options unless you hunt private ag land. Usually the Elk get pushed hard enough that you won't find them in ag land during hunting light unless you live right there and are able to watch/ keep track daily and be home at the right times. I'd love to hear more about what you do to be successful and what areas these tactics are applied to.
I suppose I do have more "tips & tricks" I could share. First, the kind of land/terrain I hunt has varied from nearly open grassland & prairie all the way to rugged mountains. I guess I've taken elk in all kinds of places. But mostly it would be foothills close to mountains. I did kill my biggest bull down in 300, close to Waterton. Those old bulls are in a different class. I was 42 years old at that time, had taken tons of game, but I was humbled by how much I didn't know about big bulls. They are on another level of "smart". I learned a few things from a friend who showed me what he knew, or I likely wouldn't have taken that bull. Late season. January, I think. So calling was not part of the picture. Also, you are right about living where the elk are. For many years I lived within a few minutes' drive of land I had permission to hunt and made dozens of quick trips before or after work to just glass and look for tracks crossing roads and so on. And if I had to nail down only ONE factor that has contributed to my success, it would probably be TIME. I have been fortunate in that I have been self-employed for most of my life, and that has allowed me to plan spontaneously. If it's snowing hard and i know it's gonna quit overnight, I will change my plans for that first few hours of the next day. Or if it's 2:00 in the afternoon and it stops snowing.... if at all possible, and I still have a tag...I'm gone. I guess it's about prioritizing, and I know that for the vast majority of working men, that just isn't an option. But adjusting your life so that you CAN go when the conditions are optimal...That's huge. These days, I rarely even bother to hunt on a Saturday. Way too many guys out there, including roaming game wardens, which I respect but just don't need to mess with. I am also a big fan of the last hour of light, especially when it's cold or the snow is deep. Elk will feed. If there's no moon or it's overcast, they will almost always be visible in the last 45 minutes or so. More often than not, we end up gutting in the dark, because so often we spot a bull two miles away with less than an hour of light left, and knock him down with 15 minutes to go. make sure you carry a headlamp.