Thread: Elk tactics
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 10:56 AM

Some funny observations I’ve made about elk over the years.

If you want to learn to call, right now us a great time. There are huge winter herds that are not hard to locate... find them, get close enough to them and observe and listen....

You’ll notice there are ‘lookouts’, lazy dummies, the herd cow.... and others. They communicate allot! If there’s bulls in there ... you’ll notice that bulls tens to chirp a lil different than the cows. There are different types of chirps and you can see how others react to them. Of course... this will only happen if you put the sneak on them and not get too close.... you’ll also start to realize that playing the wind in elk starts wayy farther back than you thought possible. Ingulayes got good sniffers.

Big bulls like big thick cover most of the time. They kind of ‘j-hook’ to back check themselves (I also see big old whitetails do this as well).

It’s kind of funny cause the big thick stuff for bedding is also perfect creep-ambush cover for cougars... I’ve seen tracks of both playing the game.... it’s a lil unnerving.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."