Thread: Good 3wts?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Disregarding all the petty squabbling, this is quite a good thread, and very timely for me, I am considering a small 3 or 4 wt,
Am back in New Zealand for a bit, and have three small stream's and a small river with in 5km of home, and have been finding the 5wt sage a bit big, so have been looking at a small 7-8ft light rod, little concerned that a three weight, might not be big enough here, due to wind and even small stream's can have big trout in NZ,(10lbs plus) also a few sea run browns, in the river, as well as sum sea fish, especially Kawahai, (like coho salmon)
The warm weather has just started, and the mayfly and cadis hatches last night were full on, Nothing big caught yet, couple at 4lbs, several at half that size, but it will take a bit to get dialed in, probley should get the big rod out and go fish the flats, for sea fish, but there is something about a small bush clad stream, with crystal clear water that draws a guy back again and again,
Not quite the same choice for rods, a sage one here is $1399nz, about (1150 cad, scott even more, almost made me sick, looking about for a cheaper line of rods, I keep my eyes open.
I landed a 24" brown at least 6 late this summer on my 3wt. Yes on a dry fly and on the bow. The rod was capable and protected the tippet well but I don't think I would like to do it again. The wind will be a huge factor but if it is that windy the trout wont be all that spooky anyway as the water will be choppy. Just my 0.02$ if there is a chance of big fish opt for a bigger rod.