Thread: Good 3wts?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Let me guess you visited the factory an they walked you through entire process because you own Sage One now that you have this knowledge please inform us what is so superior about Sage. Maybe then I will not have to spout BS as you call it.

Enlighten us please, so we too can proceed in right direction with "correct" mindset.
I don't know why you spout, you just do. Rods like the Sage One can not be made by TFO in Calgary like you mentioned. TFOs can not even be made in Calgary. Watch the video on YouTube and there is a tour of Sage's manufacturing plant.

What makes top end rods nicer is to a person's individual tastes. Quality of components means nothing on a rod that is never fished. Super light weight rods mean nothing to someone that never hikes. Swing weight and precise accurate casting means nothing to someone learning the basics.

I could never understand and appreciate fully the precision engineering of a Lamborghini because I cant drive well enough. Mario Andretti no doubt could.

Sage One for example crosses a line for me. It is a high end precision piece of equipment that will out perform most any rod on the market. It requires your full attention however and is too much like work for my liking. One's technique has to be spot on as this rod has no forgiveness. I am not naturally talented enough to enjoy it.

Z-Axis on the other hand has lots of power in the lower end of the rod but a very fine tip that allows for some error in both casting and hook setting. It is not as accurate or precise as Sage One but to me it is as good as it gets for a rod this fast. It is my go to rod on bigger rivers or when the wind is up.

Where Zenith shines for me is the deeper flex and ability to throw accurate in close and at moderate distances. You can cast Z-Axis off the tip but it lacks the feel of a rod that flexes a little deeper in close. It allows a person to open the loops a bit a land a fly gently especially with a longer, fine leader and tippet. For medium river and stream fishing (which I do the most) it is perfect. It requires some concentration to go long but that is seldom needed.

If someone were making a rod exclusively for Stauffer Creek, he would make the ZXL 486. It is light, precise and accurate yet can handle very big Browns on very light tippet. It is also a thing of beauty especially with a Hardy reel attached.

Anyway, there is a difference for me and many, many others. Arguing about what someone should or shouldn't like for themselves is futile at best. I feel the same way as you when it comes to rifle scopes. I want a scope to show me where a bullet is going to hit under legal light conditions out to 200 yards, nothing more. Spending thousands of dollars on a scope that is going to be used for less than a minute on one or two successful hunts a season is absolutely ridiculous in my mind. Obviously it is not for others and I respect that.