Thread: Good 3wts?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
You do realize that for the same money you can buy lifetime warranty on TFO Echo, or Reddington etc which you do not get with a sage loomis loop etc used rod?

And yesterday's high end rod design is OFTEN today's Asian made rod?
Some of todays Asian rods are todays high end rods. I wouldn't trade my Hardy Zenith for any rod on the market and my son feels the same way about his Loop Opti-Stream. These rods are magic to fish at all distances and should not even be mentioned in the same breath as TFO and Redington.

I have received blank cards with every used Sage I have purchased and the closeout rods have full warranty. I am not sure how the warranty work on the others.

So no I would not trade one of my rods for all of the rods you mentioned let alone one.

I have fished with TFO and the components were junky to the point of failure. There really is no warranty. They sell you a rod piece and make a profit. How much do you think a rod tip is worth for a 100-300 dollar rod when one size fits all? I think less than $10.

Redington is similar although they do have better quality components. They have not produced a rod I really liked for a long time and I have fished many. I still have a 4wt RS4 kicking around somewhere that is a nice rod. I would definitely still recommend them to a beginner especially the Classic Trout.

Echo is the stand out in your group. I have lawn cast an Echo3 in 3 weight and was impressed. Like I mentioned above it was more like a 4 weight to me. They are on sale at Cabelas and I am tempted but in this economy I have put a halt on spending.

Your statement is true regarding the top end manufacturer's lower end rods. Some of Sage's offerings like the Vantage and Flight Series were outstanding and I am sure that still holds true today. I have also heard the same of Hardy, Orvis and Winston. Their seconds are better than most company's top end. I fished a G Loomis Pro4x and although not a keeper for me, it was very nice.