View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:24 AM

My two cents..

Rent first, if you've never RV'd before. You'll find out real quick if you like it and what you like (and don't like) about the trailer. There's plenty of sites similar to airbnb where you can try different kinds.

2nd Buy used. One of the two following things ALWAYS happens:
1. You decide the trailer you bought isn't ideal for what you want to do, whether that's layout/size/type/etc. and you end up changing in a year or two.
2. You decide the hassle (cost/storage/towing) of a trailer is not for you.

If you buy used, you won't lose much money compared to buying new. Trust me. I know 4 people in the past two years who were "campers" before they bought RV's, Only one still has their trailer, but it's been parked this year (gas prices).

Next piece of advice, Get as small as trailer as you can to suit your family. Bigger is NOT better. While the big 40' 5er's are nice that you have all the comforts of home including sleeping for 20, it's not worth the hassle. Any trailer above 30' and most campgrounds are a pain. You usually get stuck with the ****ty sites. Plus you're towing with a 1/2 ton, so you should be looking for a smaller one anyways.