View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The whole point of the slot is that the fish have spawned a few times before 45 cm. They have replaced themselves and then some.

If they get caught, their genetics have already passed on.

If they get past 55, and lots and lots of them do, then they are in fact the "big carrots".

Yes, I would like to see the opportunity to keep 28"++ fish for the month of August as the big ones that are caught are coming from the deep, are stressed by the warm water, and may not make it back down if released anyway.

A 28" walleye is about 8+ pds and about 17 years old. It has done its reproduction and recruitment 100 fold.

What happens to the big walleye is that they end up being caught by the FN & Metis "subsistence harvesters".

You and I do not get a chance to utilize the resource.

But the Asian Restaurants seem to benefit somehow!!! Besides, there may be some indirect sin taxes paid by the sellers!!

Lord knows, there is no enforcement for the lucky ones who get to place nets and them decide to sell fish. The mesh size used is targeting the big walleye. The small ones go through.

It clearly cost the special harvesters more in gas to get to the lake than what an equivalent week of groceries would cost. Can't understand the economics if it truly is subsistence, given the cost of net, boat, truck, gas, etc.

But yes Dustinjoels, this is who is pulling the "big carrots" from our lakes across northern Alberta.

Drewski
Well me and my GF did fish Calling on Sunday and did keep our 1 fish each....lol....all factored in that 3 lbs of clean fillet cost about as much as a crate of lobster or many many meal of fine Ahi Tuna! That's right nothing but the best for my gal!