View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 11:13 PM

I had one, nothing but issues for me. But I didn't own it for long. First time out on the ocean just going slow out of the marina and the alternator bolt sheered off causing belt to shred and cost $3000 to repair. Next summer one trip worked fine. Second trip alarming non stop on and off. We rewired the alternator and it worked for a few hours then left us stranded in governing mode as light faded 13 miles from the dock going 6.5 mph with the alarm blaring the whole way home for four hours of miserable darkness. Should have cut the wires. Then took it in and mechanic said not sure why its alarming but now seems a cylinder or two are not firing well. Then could be some of the injectors. Recommended not worth fixing... summer after putting in 3 G. I bought a new 150 Four Stroke this year. Soooo much better.

Read all the nightmare reviews on the optimax online forums. What happened to me with the alternator bolt sheer is a common problem, as well as injectors plugging.

Good luck. I'd avoid. The merc Dealers and guys at bass pro in the boat department all told me after the fact the Optimax was a terrible engine and why Merc no longer makes it and switched to four stroke engines.

I'm sure there are many people with good experience. I wish I knew now what I did. Would have saved me some money and could have had a new four stroke repower earlier.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures