View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
Getting back to cartridge choices, there are times when the rifle package also plays a part in the cartridge choice. For instance, the aforementioned Lee Enfield is pretty well a 303 forever. As it happens, the 303 is a great game cartridge. In addition, the Lee Enfield is a rugged and dependable rifle. If you are a reloader though, it has some shortcomings. As well, rimmed cartridges don't really feed as well as their rimless counterparts. I still frequently hunt with one and I like it but I have to admit to it's faults.
For use in bolt action sporting rifles, all of the Mauser cartridges are exceptional. The 6.5x55 is possibly the best of the 6.5's. The 7x57, while not as fast as some more modern numbers, isn't far off the pace; especially with the powders available today. The one thing the Mauser cartridges won't do is fit into a short action and this is an example of the rifle dictating the cartridge selection. If you like a short action, you will have to choose a 260 Remington rather than the venerable 6.5x55. We have to face the facts though; the 260 isn't doing anything the older cartridge would not have done at least as well. It is pushing identical bullets at similar speeds to similar effect. It's existence is simply a result of the desire to put 6.5x55 performance in an action which it won't fit.
The 7mm-08 is another example of the same thing. It's a 7x57 in a short action.
These short action cartridges are reasonably successful commercially and very successful in the field because they duplicate the practical performance levels of the Mauser rounds.
The 30/06 based rounds are, likewise, exceptional cartridges. They feed well. They fit the actions well and magzine capacity is good. Performance is a step above the Mauser cartridges. Until you get up to the 33 caliber, they have sufficient capacity to provide all the performance one needs for anything he is going to hunt. The 280 might be the best of the lot.
I have always felt the rifle to be more important than the cartridge but, as I said before, I still get caught up in cartrtidge choice, just like everyone else.
An example of this can be seen in a Model 54 Winchester project I started on a couple of years back; that is to say, I acquired the rifle then, if that can be called a start! I was interested in doing up a Model 54 because it seemed like a nice platform on which I could demonstrate my talents(?). Sadly, the first talent I had to demonstrate was my talent for coming out on the short end of any trade. Consequently, I traded about 650.00 worth of work for a rifle worth a solid 250.00. Putting this sad start behind me I began the rebuilding and it is here that I have hit the snag. This rifle has been everything from a 257 Roberts to a 9.3x62 with stops at every caliber in between. These have all been virtual builds, mind you. A virtual build is where I lean back in the old Lazy Boy and imagine the build and the results. Virtual builds are great. The barrels are always top notch. The stocks practically shape themselves. Checkering is flawless. Accuracy is superb and at the end, I reward myself with a virtual hunt where the rifle, in my hands, drops that big bull elk with a single well placed shot. Somehow, I skip over the gutting, skinning, and butchering and the next scene shows me contentedly masticating a tender steak while admiring the rack on my wall. When I am jarred back to reality though (often by my wife asking, "what are you smirking about?"), I go back down to the shop, pick up the battered old action and gaze at the pile of barrels under the bench and try to decide which one to put on. Then I stare at the stock blanks in the corner and wonder if I shouldn't go with fiberglass.
As you can see, one can claim all the knowledge he wants but he still won't be able to make up his mind. Leeper
Leeper, do you have a website? I have no idea what the AO policy is regarding putting website addresses in sig lines, but you might want to consider it.

Or just PM me a link so I can drool over your work. I saw pics of Cat's .303 and thought it looked fab.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.