View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Default what a good read -

every newbie should be given the opportunity the read this entire post - especially the difficulties of the south paw shooter. I too shoot left - but was "cured" the moment I was handed my first rifle - a RH model 70 300 WM. Still have it still shoot it right handed as I do with with most of the firearms in the safe but it is now just one moose away from full retirement. (Ambidexterity can be learned). One of my hunting partners and I are discussing these very topics: first rifle (first love), which cartridge, custom or off the shelf, it is good enough for elk and moose & at which range? And we debate the ballistics - knowing that some chamberings terminal ballistics will always exceed the mathematics published (long live the 6.5 swede). It seems that the writer learned most of the essentials early and has kept to the basics: pick an accurate rifle and learn how to use it (Carmichael stuff). Again excellent read and supporting comments. Me? I am now leaning to a custom single shot falling block: one barrel in 300 WM and one in 6.5 Swede. One for nostalgia and the other for hunting.